To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Linux Version Of Bitcomet

khakilang

Ya. I have install under Wine together with Comet bird. It hang so I uninstall it and look for Linux version until I stumble into this forum. The reason for using Linux is because my system is getting slow when using Window and so I try Linux. It seem to perform better so thats why I stick to it. I think porting to Linux shouldn't be a problem if you have the source code. But I don't know about MS Visual C++. Thanks for your help.

Porting to Linux from VC++ is a huge job, because you're coming from an environment that relies heavily upon Microsoft Foundation Classes, to one which cannot legally use them at all. That being so, you're rewriting almost all of your underlying toolkit before you can even start on the application. You'd have to do that by reverse-engineering MFC, which is expressly forbidden under the license.

Then you'd have a huge thing to maintain, not just a little application.

Failing that, you'd create a workalike, but now you have two entirely separate code trees to maintain and try to keep in parity. Things that might be easy in one may be nearly impossible in the other, so there may be a lot of pressure to diverge.

Given that there's no financial compensation for any of this, I can't see it happening.

Porting to Linux from VC++ is a huge job, because you're coming from an environment that relies heavily upon Microsoft Foundation Classes

VC does not imply MFC. The VC compiler compiles the standard C++ language and some extensions. The extensions are usually not a major barrier to portability. C++ programs can be developed using VC without MFC and I doubt that the majority of programs compiled using VC use MFC.

If BitComet is written using MFC, then yes the use of MFC would increase the work to port it, but VC alone does not imply MFC.

You'd have to do that by reverse-engineering MFC, which is expressly forbidden under the license.

That seems odd to me, since Microsoft provides the source code for MFC. There really is no reverse-engineering necessary. The term reverse-engineering usually refers to de-compiling and things like that, which is a huge amount of work even if it is legal or if the law is ignored. For MFC, you have ths source code and you can use the Visual Studio (VS) tools to analyze MFC.

Then you'd have a huge thing to maintain, not just a little application.

It depends on how extensively MFC is used. If the program uses the MFC Document/View Architecture then it would likely be better to convert to something else for files and such. To the extent that BitComet uses MFC for the UI, one solution would be to split the UI from the back end and use standard C++ for the back end, then a Linux UI could be developed that would be just the UI part. Or the UI could be converted to use the Common Language Runtime (.Net in Windows).

• Like 1

Autistic programs aren't of much more than academic use. If you want to communicate with the customers, then you need a graphic toolkit -- windows and widgets and whatnot, and that's MFC.

If you claim that any language doesn't need all that, then it needs some other "all that" which is likely even more difficult. THIS level of the foundation classes is not disclosed, as we all found out with the creation of Java. It was "portable" for some definition of "portable" that needed an awful lot of tweaking from Windows to SunOS in order to actually work. The underlying ways of doing things were simply too different.

It all sounded great until you actually had to do it. Then it turned into a nightmare, and this was a language DESIGNED to be portable on that level -- which C++ never was.

You need to have the windows and widgets behaving and looking, at the lowest levels, exactly the same. If they don't, and they won't, you'll be spending a very great deal of time trying to make things work at all, and compromising behavior at every point.

On the level of "draw a window with the following options", "draw a combo box", "draw a select list" the source is most certainly NOT revealed and NOT legal to reverse-engineer. This is the rock that the Java AWT foundered on. What looked good and usable on the Windows box looked like h*** on the HP, hid or minimized vital details on the Sun workstation.

If it were easy, or even reasonably possible, then most windows applications would be easily ported to Linux and there wouldn't be this barrier between the two. You wouldn't have to basically chose which one you're going to support as most developers end up doing. You wouldn't have this barrier to switching over because the applications you use don't exist under *nix -- their publishers would port them. They would be very happy about this. They would cheer.

If porting between Windows and Unix could easily be done, then MS would have successfully pushed Internet Explorer into the Linux world. They certainly tried. If only! Instead it was an utter failure, and trying to get unix programmers to test their browser code on IE was a doomed effort. Nobody could get the linux port of MSIE to work, though some scary-smart people tried.

This was a serious quality obstacle. If it could have been done, then MS would have pushed MS Office into the Unix world instead of leaving a huge opening for Sun Office/Open Office to sneak into.

But if you think you can do it, that it would be simple, that it would be easy to maintain, please be my guest. A lot of people, who've been contemplating the issue for a couple of decades and haven't found a workable solution yet, would just love you for it. One way around the legal issues? Sell this to Microsoft. You will become very wealthy.

Hi there,

It runs on mac, linux and windows as well but I didn't make very good experiences with windows dough but on linux it works perfectly well Just two things get on my nerves first the incoming directory is always shared meaning you either have to start a cron job or move the files your self if you don't want to have them shared, which is pretty important for torrents to get fast.

Hi there,

It runs on mac, linux and windows as well but I didn't make very good experiences with windows dough but on linux it works perfectly well Just two things get on my nerves first the incoming directory is always shared meaning you either have to start a cron job or move the files your self if you don't want to have them shared, which is pretty important for torrents to get fast.

What runs on Mac, Linux?

Autistic programs aren't of much more than academic use. If you want to communicate with the customers, then you need a graphic toolkit -- windows and widgets and whatnot, and that's MFC.

If you claim that any language doesn't need all that, then it needs some other "all that" which is likely even more difficult. THIS level of the foundation classes is not disclosed, as we all found out with the creation of Java. It was "portable" for some definition of "portable" that needed an awful lot of tweaking from Windows to SunOS in order to actually work. The underlying ways of doing things were simply too different.

It all sounded great until you actually had to do it. Then it turned into a nightmare, and this was a language DESIGNED to be portable on that level -- which C++ never was.

You need to have the windows and widgets behaving and looking, at the lowest levels, exactly the same. If they don't, and they won't, you'll be spending a very great deal of time trying to make things work at all, and compromising behavior at every point.

On the level of "draw a window with the following options", "draw a combo box", "draw a select list" the source is most certainly NOT revealed and NOT legal to reverse-engineer. This is the rock that the Java AWT foundered on. What looked good and usable on the Windows box looked like h*** on the HP, hid or minimized vital details on the Sun workstation.

If it were easy, or even reasonably possible, then most windows applications would be easily ported to Linux and there wouldn't be this barrier between the two. You wouldn't have to basically chose which one you're going to support as most developers end up doing. You wouldn't have this barrier to switching over because the applications you use don't exist under *nix -- their publishers would port them. They would be very happy about this. They would cheer.

If porting between Windows and Unix could easily be done, then MS would have successfully pushed Internet Explorer into the Linux world. They certainly tried. If only! Instead it was an utter failure, and trying to get unix programmers to test their browser code on IE was a doomed effort. Nobody could get the linux port of MSIE to work, though some scary-smart people tried.

This was a serious quality obstacle. If it could have been done, then MS would have pushed MS Office into the Unix world instead of leaving a huge opening for Sun Office/Open Office to sneak into.

But if you think you can do it, that it would be simple, that it would be easy to maintain, please be my guest. A lot of people, who've been contemplating the issue for a couple of decades and haven't found a workable solution yet, would just love you for it. One way around the legal issues? Sell this to Microsoft. You will become very wealthy.

If MS can port MS Office to Mac. I think it is possible porting any Window software to MAC or Linux. Yes it is not easy but possible. So Bitcomet file isn't big as compare to MS Office. So it still possible to port to Linux. But than its not commercial viable but think of market share.

Yeah, but the only tiny difference is that M$ is a multi-billion dollars worth company which has the resources to do that. And the reason they did it was to sell their software (a.k.a. turn their investment into profit).

OTOH BitComet is a freeware software... I don't know if they receive even donations.

So... I'd love to see it too ported on Linux but it will only happen if and when the developers find the time and inclination to put in the serious extra amount of work required to write, maintain and develop, in parallel, a *nix version.

• 2 weeks later...

MS Office for the Macintosh is definitely and absolutely not a port.

It is an entirely separate development effort of an entirely separate product, developed for the Mac from the ground up on a completely separate codebase, separate release schedule, and which is not feature-comparable to the Windows product.

The first version of Office for Mac, in the 80's might have been a port, but that stopped being the case long before the Mac gave up the 6800 chip in favor of the PowerPC. Which was what, over 15 years ago? By the time the Mac SE came out Office had been a separate development for a long while.

I got Bittorent client in my Linux. Can I use it to download movie in mcomet? If so how?

I'm not sure if you're referring to the Mainline BitTorrent client or to another BitTorrent client.

Either way, you should know that mcomet.com is not a torrent index site, which is to say you can't download movies from there. It just hosts informations about the most recent movies and stuff as such.

Linux bittorrent clients are completely compatible ... wait, that's the wrong word.

Think of an ftp server. It doesn't matter in the least what OS an ftp client is running on, Windows, Max, Linux, Solaris, MS-DOS for that matter, or even VMS. Ftp will transfer the files, end of story.

Now whether those files will RUN (as in programs) on the destination machine, is not ftp's problem.

It's your problem. Windows programs are not gonna suddenly run on a unix box just because they were transferred via ftp. (You'd be astonished at how many people think it will.)

If you download a Mac program and expect it to run on your VAX, you will be disappointed. If you download a text file produced by an MS-DOS machine, it's going to appear double-spaced on a Mac.

Those are your problems, not ftp's. It has always been so. Likewise with http, or even gopher.

A video is encoded in one of many different ways. You will need decoding software that operates on the target machine. You will also need to watch out for managment/directory incompatibilities, but those are rare and usually solveable now. But given the former and absence of the latter, you should be able to play the video in a Linux player without any difficulties.

• 2 years later...