To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

help needed

moose69

i am new to this and having lots of troulbles getting started.

i have a wbr2310 dlink router connected to a dsl modem. i have tried to use port forwadring and have had no luck. my default gateway and dns server # are the same and i have had support from dlink regarding port forwarding. i have also read and followed many of the online tutorials in the forums and still have had luck. can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong

It's difficult to be of any assistance with such a sketchy description. What are you having problems with? What is happening or not happening that you think should be or shouldn't be? The more you tell us, the easier it is to figure out what's going wrong.

when i start bitcomet, it always tells me that my listening port is blocked. I have made the exception in my firewall and opened the port in my router. when i called my isp to make sure that i have the right subnet, defaualt gateway and dns servers, they told me i cannot create a static ip address unless i am a business client. i have also tried older versions if bit comet, but had the same problem. as i said before, that i have called my router tech support and they walked me throught the port forwarding , so i am assumming that part i have done correctly. what more info do you need me to provide? thanks

The forum has a fixed topic, named "Read This Before Posting", that asks you to provide basic information before asking for help. That information would be a good start.

Next, it sounds like you're asking several different people for advice. You probably need to stop that and just ask/follow-up with one. It sounds like none of them has the whole picture, and so they're giving you well-meant but misleading advice. That's understandable, because you're not furnishing enough information. However, the surest way to gum this up is to have too many people in it, with you choosing to follow some advice from person A, and some from person B, etc.

ok. let me start over agian . hopefully with all the right info this time.

i have a dsl connection through primus. the dsl modem is thompson speed touch 516v6. the router i am using is dlink wbr2310 I am using bit comet version 1.16 , windows xp home edition sp2,windows filrewall and avg antivirus version 8.5.431. as far as a speed test goes, i am not sure how to do this.

sometimes when i open bit comet, i get a yellow light telling me that my listening port is blocked and other times it gives me a grey light indicating detection failed.

i would like you to walk me through this step by step. like you mentioned in an earlier reply that i am getting too much info from too many people. that being said, can you help me figure this out please?

I, and others, have talked about this at length in this thread. It turned into a question--and-answer session, so almost any problem you may encounter is discussed there.

I know it's a little lengthy, but it tries to address all levels of skill. You should find what you need including some hand-holding while you go through it, there.

This subject is not nearly as fearfully complicated as it seems at first. Many, many people have gotten through it, then wondered why they made it so hard on themselves. You will get through it too.

Understanding is important, because when you do get it nailed, this subject won't trouble you again -- and you can explain to your share of others (there's a never-ending supply. Trust me.)

It's all there, including performing speed tests and dealing with ports that open and close.

I just want to add a little observation.

You may not be aware of it but it looks like you have, not one but two routers!

That is, your modem is also a NAT router.

Therefore, you need to acknowledge that thing before starting to configure your network. Unless you do that, there is no port-forwarding guide which will help you.

Now, as far as this goes, there are several way you could choose to proceed about this, before starting to do any port forwarding. You could try either of these:

• try to forward BitComet's port on both routers;
  • try to put your modem in bridge mode so that it gives your router's WAN interface a public IP and then forward your port only on your D-Link router;
  • try to use only the modem/router device, eliminating the other router and forwarding your port on the modem/router;
  • try to connect the cable coming from the modem to a LAN port of the D-Link router thus using it as a switch and doing port-forwarding only on the modem.

You should first choose one of the above and only after that perform port-forwarding.