To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Can't connect to the internet

Unable to connect

CometBird can't establish a connection to the server at m.www.yahoo.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that CometBird is permitted to access the Web.

Edited by cassie
shortened scrolling distance... (see edit history)

When this occurs, immediately also try Internet Explorer to see if it can reach the same web site. Also try both on an unrelated site, such as Amazon.com.

It would be prudent for you to learn and use the "nslookup","ping" and "tracert" commands, in order to troubleshoot issues like this.

All of this will help you to determine whether the problem is actually with CometBird (it rarely is for this sort of issue) or with your network connection or the remote web site.

If the problem isn't with CometBird then trying to fix it that way is a waste of your energy.

Yes, you can downgrade, though not necessarily easily.

Keeping in mind that CometBird is Firefox, you should be looking at their site for more answers. There is a way to set CometBird/Firefox into "safe mode", which you should try first.

If that doesn't work, then export and save your bookmarks (if you have enough that it's worth the effort to you), then experiment. You might also, just to be on the safe side, preserve all of the relevant %appdata% directories too.

Try simply installing the older version over the newer. If that doesn't work then you'll need to uninstall the newer first, which is where those saved bookmarks come in.

Effects on your add-ons are uncertain but ought to present no issues. Just be prepared for it if it does happen. Nobody actually said that any would necessarily work with a downgrade. Your principle guide though this should be the Firefox forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the same problem after updating to the cometbird version released January 5th. Before my update cometbird worked fine, but afterwards I receive the same error message as OP, with the site working fine on internet explorer as well. I've tried turning off my firewall (does ESET NOD32 antivirus count as a firewall?) but it still doesn't work. Other than downgrading the version, is there another fix? Or would it be better to just wait for a 3.5.7?