To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

does bit comet work with windows 7 64 bit?

I get the select language box and then after I select ok it just goes away and nothing happens. I open up task manager and see no evidence it's running. I open the start menu and don't see it as a program and it doesn't put an icon on my desktop. It just disappears.

Have you checked the system and application error logs to see if a problem is being reported?

You might also open Task Manager first, look at the processes, then try reinstalling while you watch. You should see the installer process start up, and then if it does die, you should be able to see that. It won't tell you why, but will confirm that it happens.

You shouldn't actually have to install BC, just download a .zip version from the BC site and extract it to an appropriate directory, then run the program from there. You should be able to set all of your preferences including the language, from there.

Actually, just to add on this. I have Windows 7 64Bit too (though it's Home Edition), which I recently installed. It was the only change I made between now and when I last used BitComet (which was on Vista 32bit). I tried to install BitComet and it did exactly the same thing as aileyus experienced. It would simply fail after the language selection. I checked on the Task Manager and yes it did indeed just drop off the list.

So I went ahead and copied the zip files into a BitComet folder I made in Program Files and now it works fine. But yes, it won't install for some reason on Windows 7 64bit.

I've installed just today BitComet on a Win 7 64bit system with no problems whatsoever (with both UAC activated and deactivated).

So, obviously this is not a easy nut to crack since it doesn't happen on every system.

It must be either a specific Windows setting or another application you're using which causes that.

Hi Greywizard. This is a new machine with a fresh install of Windoze. I did have Registry Mechanic 9.0, AVG Free 9.0, and Office 2007 installed at the time. Could it be the virus checker needs to be disabled for the install?

Thanks,

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.Iam here with the solution.I had the same problem that After the language box,installation won't.then I just go in properties of installation file and set it to run in compatibility with windows XP sp2.It worked like a charm.After installation I did same with bitcomet itself and now Iam using It without any problem.Hope that This will help.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I was having the same problem when installing BC on my PC with Windows 7 64bit Pro. What's nice about the Pro edition is...if you have any compatibilty issues with any programs you wish to run, Windows 7 Pro will run that program using whatever OS you want. This is why I bought the pro. I'm not sure if the Home Edition has this option?? But the problem is an easy fix...just as "hafiz1" already pointed out. When installing...save instead of run...go to where ever you saved the BC set up file...then right click on it...go to properties...click on compatibility, and then pick whatever OS with whatever service pack you want the program to run in. Very nice feature!!!

Edited by jtettes (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just to support the other guys. I had a clean install of Windows 7 and this was first thing I tried to install. Experienced the same issues when installing Bitcomet. Followed advice above and saved files etc etc. Worked perfectly. Thanks ! :)