To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Vista "can't find file"

jgf

I frequently download webpages for offline reference. When I double click one to open it, there's a five to ten second pause then a Vista error message pops up listing the complete path to the file and saying it can't find the file! Before I can click OK, Firefox opens and displays the file. When through reading, I close Firefox and then OK that ridiculous message to close it.

Why on earth is Vista telling me it can't find the file when it lists the complete path to the file in the same message?! And how do I eliminate this asinine behavior?

(It doesn't matter where I save the downloaded file.)

There seem to be tons of Vista users confronting with this issue.

However, one of the freqently rported causes for this is also, a virus infection. So, you should check your system with at least 2 different antivirus application. Maybe even 1-2 online scanners.

If that turns out not to be the issue you can try some of the solutions others suggest, like the ones in this topic.

Read through quite a bit of those topics, but most relate to the file not being opened at all. But posted my problem there also.

Should mention, if either browser is already running, they will open the file immediately; so the problem only occurs when the browser isn't running.

This is really out there, but I once had a similar issue that ended up being due to an incomplete install of an IE upgrade. I want to suggest that you uninstall your latest whole version of MSIE, reboot, then reinstall, and test again.

This is really out there, but I once had a similar issue that ended up being due to an incomplete install of an IE upgrade. I want to suggest that you uninstall your latest whole version of MSIE, reboot, then reinstall, and test again.

This would affect Firefox?

MSIE came pre-installed with Vista; I have the disk around somewhere, plus the recovery drive. Don't wish to "upgrade" to IE8 as ATT tells me they have trouble with it.

Yeah, I know. How could that affect Firefox? Didn't make any sense, but, it worked.

You may need to download IE7 install from Microsoft, as some of those 'recovery" disks will wipe the drive first.