To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED)

What you did wrong was mostly to use ShieldsUp.

You're trying to open your listen port to outside traffic. You don't WANT your shields up. You want them down.

Use canyouseeme.org instead.

Ok, that's excellent, real progress. now you just need to consider the possibility that you might be wrong, and that there's more to understand.

Your understanding of what your ip address is, probably comes from the IPCONFIG utility included with windows. Its answer will be both right and wrong. It will tell you, correctly, what the current ip address of your computer is. What it does not know and so cannot take into account, is which network the computer is connected to. This is quite important. Your error is in your belief that your computer is connected to the internet, and it is not. Now fortunately for you, I've got an awful lot of experience at this and can read between the lines -- because you failed to read the clearly posted "READ BEFORE POSTING" guidelines, and you failed to provide the necessary and vital information somebody would need to understand your issue.

There are two major blocks of addresses, a Class B block and a class C block, whose use is reserved for private LAN's. One of those blocks is 10.xxx.xxx.xxx (the class B ), and the other is 192.168.xxx.xxx (the class C). These addresses are reserved, meaning that they are not legal addresses on the internet and may not be used. Routers will refuse to route them on the internet, they belong and must remain on the LAN side of things.

That your address begins, as you say, with 192 tells me that you are, in all likelihood, in the reserved class C block, behind a router -- which is a part of the critically important information you should have supplied but did not. Your computer is connected to a private LAN, and not to the internet. You either didn't know or didn't think it was important, and in substituting your judgment for mine, committed a serious error.

Your computer is connected to a router, which supplies and establishes the LAN just by existing. The router's WAN side is connected to the internet. Almost all SOHO routers use one or the other blocks and there's seldom a reason to muck around with this. The router gateways all non-LAN traffic out to the internet, and as it does this, the router substitutes its own, WAN-assigned IP address, to that traffic. That is the address that the world sees. That is the address that canyouseeme.org and whatsmyip.com see and report back to you. The router's WAN address is "your" IP address, as far as the internet is concerned.

The replies, all of the replies, get addressed back to your router's WAN-side IP. The router takes those replies and, err, *routes* them to the lan-side machine that requested each. During that routing process, the Network Address is Translated (a phrase you may have heard before) to the correct address for your private LAN.

All of this also suggests very strongly that you did not correctly forward your listen port on the router, and most especially, that you did not establish a static IP address for your computer on the LAN. All of this is discussed at some length in its own thread, in our Guides forum. You can find it, along with many examples and many questions/answers, here

Okay...sorry about not reading that thread.

Okay I followed all of the steps until 5 but it asks me what is my router model. It is BR-6424n of Edimax but it doesn't appear on the list, can I simply use the BR-6504N guide or is it critical?

Also there is something strange, I forwarded 5223,3478,3479,3658 and they are open but port 5223 refuses to be opened, maybe its my firewall?

Also if there is information I should supply then tell me what to cover, I don't want hackers going on my ip address

Edited by shippou (see edit history)

The list at portforward.com is a supplement to, but definitely not a replacement for reading your router's manual. The manual is essential. To the extent that another router's instructions are similar, and perhaps even very close to identical, will help you to understand your manual, but the manual is paramount. All routers are trying to accomplish the same tasks, so they're necessarily very similar in how they go about it.

Many manufacturers use the same or very similar firmware and interfaces from one model to another, so it's very possible to use instructions from one model to figure out how to configure another, but this still means you must have and read the manual for yours. If you have questions or problems configuring yours, then it's helpful to look at the instructions for several other makes and models, to see how they do the same task. After a while you'll see what they are all driving at.

When you choose a listen port, you shouldn't choose anything down in that range, because those ports are traditionally assigned to other purposes. Pick a port that's above 52000, and close all the others that you've opened. Just use port #65432, it meets all the criteria, it's hard to forget.

I forwarded 5223,3478,3479,3658 because those are the ports that belong to Demon's Soul for the PS3 according to portforward.com but 5223 refuses to open.

65432 works, seems like I use UDP but 5223 is still problamic

This typically means that the port is already forwarded on another rule. Not all routers will forbid multiple assignments, and it's really not a firewall's or router's job to be doing that -- your winsock takes care of and is the final authority on who gets what port. You can have multiple assignments of a port, just not all at once. Some routers will let you do that, at the risk of running yourself into trouble, while others won't at the cost of flexibility.

This is a good opportunity to review all of your rules to make certain you want and still need them. If you don't find a duplicate assignment, then you may want to search the manual, the internet, and the manufacturer's web site for comments about the same issue. under the circumstances, somebody's probably run into this issue before you did.

Keep in mind that it might not be the router's firewall that is failing, that if you have software firewalls, it may be that a rule you think includes 5223, actually does not or has a typo in the port number or an error in the protocol assignment, or ... so check them all.

Can I assign a new place for the port so I can use it?

Also, my bitcomet worked but 4 hours after it worked it dissconnected me from the internet. Any ideas why? Maybe I downloaded too much things? The download rate was on 200 kb I think

I have no idea, never even looked at Demon's Soul -- you'd need to check the documentation or ask at their support mechanism, about reassigning the ports for it.

What, exactly did this disconnect involve? Much more detail needed.

My router has 3 important light bulbs:

Power

WAN

Signal

The signal light bulb got turned off and the internet stopped functioning, I plugged out the electricity cable and plugged it back again to find the router working

Also Bitcomet is still showing up status as unknown even though it downloads

Edit: I just tried activating the Bitcomet, it stayed active for a minute or two and then the internet stopped working without a relation to the light bulbs. I had to take the electricity plug out and in again to activate the internet.

Edit2: Activated Bitcomet before sleeping, when I waked up the signal light bulb was fine but the internet didn't work

Edited by shippou (see edit history)

(If you mentioned the make and model of your router, I can't find it.) Some routers have a feature, which is intended to help and does help most people in their normal internet usage, by "remembering" recently-used connections on the theory that they'll be used again soon. This reckons without bittorrent. Bittorrent makes many hundreds of connections and never uses any of them again.

There are some routers that just can't handle that, so they fail. Some of them fail gracelessly, by dropping the internet connection altogether until the router is reset. To find out if this issue is your problem, the easiest way is to temporarily hook the computer directly to the modem, leaving the router out of the loop. (remember that you have to reconfigure your network connection to do this.) Then let BitComet run for a long while or overnight -- long enough that if the problem were going to appear, it would have.

If that works with no problem, then the issue is indeed with your router. You can check with the manufacturer to see if there is a firmware upgrade to solve this problem. if there isn't, then you'll need to replace the router. You can try to trade it with someone else who doesn't bittorrent, it should be fine for other purposes.

If that works with no problem, then the issue is indeed with your router. You can check with the manufacturer to see if there is a firmware upgrade to solve this problem. if there isn't, then you'll need to replace the router. You can try to trade it with someone else who doesn't bittorrent, it should be fine for other purposes.

• 7 months later...