To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet 1.19 and IPFilter

Hye all,

I'm an absolutely newbie regarding Bitcomet software. So I need a little help. I am searching for an answer if the latest version of Bitcomet supports ipfilter. I found many different answers about this topic. One of them is this here http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/40797/ and at other forums some users told me that Bitcomet still supports ipfilter.dat. You just have to copy the ipfilter.dat into the rules folder of Bitcomet.

What is correct now?

Would be great to get a "final" answer. :-)

Thx,

Nightflight

BitComet does support ipfilter in the manner described.

At the same time, there's a general consensus that the ipfilter approach is bankrupt.

If I were an RIAA shill, I'd feel a little hurt if you thought I was so stupid that I couldn't manage to keep an internet account that never made it onto anybody's filter list. Honestly, how hard do you think that would be?

But it makes some people feel secure. If you're going to do this anyway, do it with PeerGuardian, because it "protects" all of your internet connections and not just those from BitComet. With the IPFilter approach, you have to add and update a file for BitComet, a separate file for µtorrent, a separate file for Vuze, &c. With PG, there's just the one for all applications.

Reminding you once more that most of us think this is a waste of computer resources.

Hye kluelos,

thx for your answer. I know that there is nothing 100% secure. As mentioned before, I was confused about all the different posts during my search. So I thought the best way is to get to the source directly.

Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Nightflight

• 2 weeks later...

This reply is a bit late but this is a personal pet peeve of mine.

The problem with IP Filters besides not really protecting you is that they usually make things worse. Because your client is trying to connect to hose IP addresses in the list(s). This causes overhead for you & slower speed & performance. For people trying to connect to you they probably don't notice and just ignore you.

Now the problem is in the swarm if you're not sharing you're going to be end of the lined in download packet lines. As the rest of the swarm will report you as being a poor tradeer.