To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

TCP Connections: Established: 5 [MAX:3] !!!! Limit doesn't work :`-((((

simka

Dear Bitcomet developers,

Thank you very much for your awesome product. If it's possible, please fix the bug with connections limit.

Description of the bug:

Can't set limit for simultaneous connections (it doesn't work)

============= Clipboard copy starts =============================

TCP Connections: Established: 9 [MAX:3]

============= Clipboard copy ends ===============================

I've been downloading from http-server several mp3 files.

Using wine under kubuntu.

Thank you in advance,

Simka :)

Under windows this doesn't appear to work at all -- whatever value Max connections is set to, is just ignored and is always reported as "unlimited".

Which is just as well, really. This isn't something the user could manage competently. Still, if it's in there it ought to work, and there's no responsibility to keep the user from shooting himself in the foot.

i don't really know how long it's been there. As I indicated, I think the user has no business messing with this setting in the first place so I don't ever touch it. This question moved me to test it. I think the setting should be removed, frankly.

I do not think that there are problems.

network.max_connecting_connections = Half-Open: ??? . The range of value are [10,200].If you set 0,the value of "Half-Open" is auto set to 200.

network.max_connections = TCP Connections . The value is less than 9999.

If the TCP Connections is less than 20, I think that doesn’t make any sense.

TO kluelos:

'whatever value Max connections is set to, is just ignored and is always reported as "unlimited".'

what value always report as "unlimited"? What Settings are you set in Options?

I experimented at setting it to, four, I think it was, just to test it after this report. It did indeed remain at "unlimited".

If it's in there, it ought to work, but as I said, I don't think this should be in there at all. Since it doesn't work, why not get rid of it?

Well, on my XP SP3 I've set network.max_connections to 3 for testing's sake, after reading his post, and it indeed changed to [MAX: 3], so on my client I can't reproduce the problem you report, kluelos.

I just couldn't make it to open several connections to the server the file was hosted on, so that I can't confirm if BC indeed disregards the set limit.

However, this whole issue is just a academical discussion, since the network.max_connections is a general option affecting both BitTorrent and HTTP/FTP an no one in his/her right mind would set this option to such low values.

Besides, for downloading's sake, I can't see what good does it do or how it would help to limit the number of connections to a certain HTTP server.

But, if indeed that limit in now disregarded (when set so low) then probably it should be fixed if possible.

As you said, there is no responsibility on our side to keep users from shooting themselves in the leg if they insist on doing that. B)