To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Download order

Hello there,

I am trying to download a series of video files and I need them to download one at a time in a specific order. So I right clicked on the torrent and then went to properties and then to the download order tab. From there I enabled the feature by checking the box and clicked OK. The problem is that it does not seem to work at all. The files are still downloaded all at the same time with the high priority one getting no higher priority at all (it is at the same percentage as the other files). I am not sure if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance

Well, it could be a bug but since you gave no info whatsoever about your OS or client version, that question stays with you for the time being.

However, consider this: The download order works as it's supposed to only if there are pieces available at the other peers for the file which comes first in the download order (this is my personal opinion on this; I don't speak for the dev team now).

It would be pretty stupid that the client waits and doesn't download anything, in case it didn't found at the time being, the necessary pieces for the files which come first in the download order list. Thus, it may be just simply downloading other available pieces, because it didn't find them yet on the other peers, or it found them but the other peers are choking it for the time being.

It is also possible that this is a bug, but you should really test it with several different torrents (some well seeded ones with a high seeds/peers ratio preferably, so that you're sure there is a high piece availability in the swarm).

If it still totally disregards the download order, then we can definitely report it as a bug.

why don't you simply force the download order? Within the torrent, you can set each individual file's priority to high, average, low, or don't download. Set all of the files except the one you want first, to "don't download". get the one you want first. Then go back and set the file you want next to "high", and so forth until you have all of the files in the order you want.