To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to UNdelete Task and Downloaded Files?

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a UNdelete Task and Downloaded Files option added to Bitcomet?

Is there a way to UNdelete task and downloaded files if you accidentally chose that option in the Bitcomet client? I've spent a week downloading and accidentally deleted the wrong task and downloaded files. The deleted files and task does not show up in the Trash. Does anyone know a way to recover or UNdelete?

If you deleted the files along with the task, there is no way to recover them from BitComet directly.

But you can use a free undelete tool.

Here's what the allmighty Google has to say to you: Undelete freeware.

As for putting the task back in your Task List, use the link Lucy gave you for instructions.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking to recover both the files and the task. I'd like to thank Lucy too however the BitComet FAQ, heading called "Ways to recover the tasklist" is all gobledegook to me. Would a simple option in the Bitcomet client to undelete right away in the event a mistake was made to recover it immediately? I wouldn't expect to undelete something from a week or month ago, just a simple Undo for the last action. Thanks all...

The fact is that BitComet deletes files from the Windows file system. Therefore, it uses a system call, not some routine internal to the program.

So, the team would have to create a little application like the ones in the link I gave you above and integrate them in the BitComet installer package. That would unnecessary bloat the installer.

If this kind of stuff happens to you frequently (deleting files by accident), then you have an attention disorder. B) But if it comes only occasionally (as with any of us) then you can safely use a third party program to recover your files. After all, that's why the confirmation dialog is there; to offer you an extra step where you can still change your mind.

The simplest solution would have been to have BitComet send the files it deletes in the Recycle Bin but the team doesn't seem to agree to that idea very much, for some reason.

Therefore, for the time being, this is the way it has to go down.

I am given to understand that there is no simple way to just send files to the recycle bin, that you either buy into windows file handling completely, or you stay completely out of it, but you can't pop in and out at will. Now i think this has to do with BC's ability or not to preallocate a file -- that if you jump IN to windows it takes over, and helps you out by doing things you did not want done like allocating the rest of the file for you. Anyway, I am convinced that there is very good reason for not doing this.