To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

another noob question

rompastopma

HI guys, i hope im putting this in the right place, this is what i did....... downloaded a movie everything went ok, but when i tried to open it i noticed it said un finished download, so was wondering can i continue downloading it or is it just a corruptt copy, ive never done this before so i havent got a clue, i have been looking through the forum for a simaler problem but cant find any, any help would be good

thanks Rompa

when the movie finished, i tried to open it , un finished download was at the end of the movie name, i didnt notice it right away being a noob, i downloaded another movie to see if im doing things right, every thing downloaded like it should but on trying to open it with winrar this one has a password which came with the download just open the watch folder but it wont open so how do you pick the right movie, i just want to get one to see how all this stuff works, i dont mind waiting on the downloads or how many megs it take but there has to be something good at the end for me lol or am i just to stupid to work it out.

Leaving aside the original issue (which I still don't understand), you should deal with the second issue by simply not downloading video (or audio) that is RAR'ed.

Modern video and audio formats already include compression, so putting them into RAR or ZIP archives does not save any space to speak of. The RAR file is just as big as the original video. RAR'ing it means, at the very best, that you wasted your time doing it and every downloader's time undoing it.

Saving space and therefore, time-to-download was the purpose for using archives. Since that reason no longer applies, the only remaining reason for RAR'ing video is to include things in it that downloaders would not want - spam, trojans, advertisements, and the like. When you see a video that's RAR'ed, it's more likely than not to be passworded spam.

Many of these want you to visit some web site to get the password. Understand that the uploader does not care whether you ever actually get your movie or not, once you've done whatever he wanted. You may never get the password, or it may not be the right password, or the movie may not be what was claimed. If you engage in this process at all, you are wasting your time and will find little sympathy. If you do encounter something like this, you should add a comment to wherever you downloaded the file from (assuming it hasn't been deleted yet) that it is indeed spam and a waste of time.

Well, he said in the first post that upon trying to open the file it said that it's an unfinished download (that's about as clear as it's going to get, I fear).

C'mon kluelos you can't expect him to go much further than that considering...

To go the whole nine yards with an accurate explanation, requires at least a minimal understanding of what's going on or to grow the patience and determination required to read some tutorials, guides or documentation.

This doesn't seem the case so I gave him a simple practical tip.