To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Random Crash - Too Much Soeed?

This has been an ongoing issue for me over a couple of versions, so I hope someone can help.

TechSpecs:

Bitcomet v 1.20

Virgin Media 50MB Fibre Optic Broadband, 50MB downstream, 1.5MB Upstream (Horrible upstream, I know :-()

Virgin Media modem connected to Sitecom WL-308 Gaming Router, connected via RJ-45

Ports are not forwarded, UPnP, however showing as open.

No Anti-Virus or Firewall installed.

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Now that we have that out of the way...

Basically, some of my torrents hit some very nice speeds. Recently I was getting 4mbps, translating to only 3 hours to finish a rather large download - great! :-)

Suddenly the window closes, no crash report, nothing. I then mouse over the bitcomet icon in the taskbar, and it disappears. I then re-open, and torrent starts gaining speed, but nowhere near what I had.

This has happened to me with multiple torrents and multiple bitcomet versions. It always seems to be when my speeds are in the ridiculously high area - when I had a steady rate I never seem to get this.

Can anyone suggest reasons why this would happen, or advise me on how I can advise you further regarding this issue? Logs, etc. anywhere?

Thank you for your support! :-)

Sorry for the double post but I can't seem to edit...

I just got a message saying Disk Busy, which I've never seen before. Could it be I'm downloading at a rate too fast to write to my disk? That seems strange...

Yes, that is a probable cause. If your downloading at 50mbit, your going to need a very fast harddrive to keep up at that rate.

If you have available system resources, try allocating more memory to bitcomet's cache. I'd also advise you reduce your max download speed in bitcomet, try to find a limit that doesn't surpass your harddrives ability to write the data.

ps. This section isn't for requesting help, it's for reporting bugs. We'll move the topic to our support area at some point, so expect to find it there if it's no longer here.

Yes, that is a probable cause. If your downloading at 50mbit, your going to need a very fast harddrive to keep up at that rate.

If you have available system resources, try allocating more memory to bitcomet's cache. I'd also advise you reduce your max download speed in bitcomet, try to find a limit that doesn't surpass your harddrives ability to write the data.

ps. This section isn't for requesting help, it's for reporting bugs. We'll move the topic to our support area at some point, so expect to find it there if it's no longer here.

Sorry The UnUsual Suspect, at first I thought it may have been a bug due to crashing without an error message, but then afterwards I seen the other error.

I've increased the cache to 500mb, that should hopefully help :-)

That should be a big help relieving the burden on your harddrive, however continuous data at that speed may still overload your drive no matter how much cache you use. Basically if the data comes in faster then the drive can write, then the cache will only delay the failure.

Also understand that if your harddrive is rated to write the data that fast it doesn't mean it will be able in actual working conditions, since it's usually doing much more then writing only that data.

If you've been considering upgrading your harddrive/s, they have SATA II drives that are fairly reasonably priced now and are rated for 3gbit/s. However on a standard sata channel they will run at half that speed, so you need a controller that supports sata2 to get the optimal transfer speeds.

My HDD is the weakest component on my computer, I've got 2xWD Eco-Friendly 1.5TB drives in RAID0 @ 5400RPM, which I know isn't amazing.

I've got a Asus P6T SE Motherboard, so I could upgrade, however I'm hoping to get a SSD at some point. My only irk is that they're still extremely expensive, so for now I'm sticking with these drives :-( I'll see how I get on with the upped Cache, and then try limiting the download speeds to see how I get on.

Thanks a lot for your support :-)

Edited by eambo (see edit history)