To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

media files

oasis_sea

hello.

once i down loaded a music video and use program to open it windows media player it say cant open file need program to do this.

its saying file has a extention .flv and will not open, am i doing something wrong it down loads great, and also letting you know you have a great browser than you for your time.

windows xp

sp3

avira virus

media player 11

spypot sd resident

windows fire wall

cometbird 3.6

amd athlon 32 bit :)

Windows Media Player cannot play .flv files. Since it's generally cumbersome, wretched and unnecessarily difficult to use, you're probably better off switching to a different player. BitComet makes one called MPCStar, which is freeware. There's also the VLC player from videolan.org.

I'm aware that WMP12 is not backwards compatibile with XP just as IE9 soon will be. Which is why I was very specific when stating versions. It's been awhile but at once point I did get a .flv file to play in WMP11.

But d*** I left XP when Vista launched and I then upgraded to Win7 when it was still in beta. So my memory is a little fuzzy atm. I'll have to set up a VM to see if I can recreate this some time.

I have to use WMP or MPC on my computers. They're too old to play HD video files without DXVA support which both of Windows Media Player 11 & 12 as well as Media Player Classic Home Cinema support while VLC does not. With VLC you have to have specific Nvidia video cards to use their hardware accelration, if they add ATI Stream support it will then work fine for me.

Sure, but the guy did specifically say he was on XP. We ask for all of the relevant info, somebody finally gives it to us without being bugged about it, we ought to at least use it.