To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Yellow light problem

zippy2k

Hello, so first with the general info:

1) What version of BitComet are you using? 1.19

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)? cable 12 Mbit/s

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port? I got Thomson TG784 router, i tried to forward the listen ports. Did it in accordance with the guide that was posted here on forums.

4) If you have more than one router, be sure to mention the make and model of both devices, how are they connected (i.e. in which connector of both devices is the network cable plugged) and which one of the devices is connected to or is the modem.

Also, if you have more than one computer make sure to mention in this case, to which router is every one of them connected.

I got only one router. It is connected via cable to my PC. Another laptop is connected to this router via wireless. Also perhaps it is necessary to mention that the router transmits to digibox for one TV set, but we rarely you it.

5) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use? Vista, Windows Firewall, and Avast Antivirus

Ok so the problem is as stated in the topic: in Bitcomet it says that Listen port of TCP is blocked by Firewall/router, but at the same time Listen port of UDP is open. Then below it says "Windows firewall: Added [TCP opened, UDP opened]", and "UPnP NAT port mapping: Added".

I get the yellow light with text "WAN IP address + listen port are blocked".

To say honestly i haven't been tinkering with assigning a static IP, since in ipconfig/all under Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection there is a line "NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled", but then under Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection there is a line "NetBIOS over Tcpip: Dissabled". I'm all confused here.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks for helping in advance.

First of all, connect your PC directly to the modem, taking the router out of the loop. This way you'll pinpoint the culprit.

If you get a green light than it was the configuration of the router at fault, if you don't then you'll know that your attention needs to be focusing on your PC.

Well, I may be totally mistaking but by checking the Internet about your router it reveals that Thomson TG784 is a DSL modem/router/wireless access point, combo device.

But it doesn't say anywhere that it works as a cable modem. So I presume you must have a cable modem standing between your router and your ISP, isn't it?

Your concern is with firewalls. You can, easily, be behind multiple firewalls and not know it. Firewalls generally are not aware of each other either.

Most SOHO routers have a built=in firmware firewall.

Windows has a built-in software firewall. BitComet can be set to manage that one automatically.

Much other software, especially so-called "security suites", include software firewalls.

Even some mainboard software includes a firewall.

Some service providers/connection types firewall their connections, regarding this as a feature.

A firewall acts as a gate, and it only takes one closed gate to block the path, no matter that the others are open.

What's a firewall for? What does it do? It blocks unsolicited incoming traffic. That's because most of that traffic is evil (at BEST it's advertising) to one degree or another.

But bittorrent is peer-to-peer, and it depends on being able to let unsolicited incoming traffic through.

So there's a listen port -- one single port where incoming traffic IS accepted, and BitComet is waiting for it. What comes in is either recognized as a legitimate bittorrent communication in the proper format, or it is garbage. (There's no in-between).

What Wiz was telling you is to get the router with its firmware firewall, out of the loop so you have just the modem and the computer to worry about for now. But it sounds like you CAN'T, that your modem and router are one single unit, not two separate boxes. (That's what the Thompson model is.)

You have to determine which firewall(s) are blocking your listen port. For all you know, you have twelve of them. You don't need more than one, but you do need that one. (Indeed, you should have "never connect to the internet without a firewall" tattooed on the inside of your eyelids. )

I recommend that you go with the firmware firewall in the router, configure it properly and disable the others. That's because the firmware firewall can't crash, can't be turned off by software, doesn't use any computer resources, can't fail to start, doesn't need updating and doesn't get broken updates, protects every computer connected to it so you don't have to separately manage the firewalls on each computer, etc.

It DOESN'T try to filter outgoing traffic, but that's not something I think is a good idea anyway.