To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet Lite?

Just wondering, was it ever considered to have a very small and "light" version of bitcomet as well, since in my personal opinion, BC is becoming a bit heavy and really dragging especially with larger tasks. Just a simple version with only the necessary core features without all the other additions

I agree BC is getting heavy. Though it is still my favorite I am trying out others such as Utorrent because I personally still prefer to use older machines running WindowsXP and usually my machines dont have more than 128-256MB ram. On a machine like that it is bogged down very quickly just by running a messenger program, a web browser, and BC. (and a customized virus scanner/firewall)

A light version would be music to my ears and much appreciated!

BC Lite was never that.

Rather, it was an attempt to use bittorrent for the transfer of a single file/torrent.

Suppose you were a software developer and you had an update you wanted to distribute. In theory you could use BC Lite for this. It would act much like an installer, whoever downloaded it would not have to (and could not) search for a torrent to download, rather it would just download the one torrent from the server the developer had specified. Thereafter you would be done with it and would delete BC Lite.

This method of distribution truly isn't practical for several reasons. µtorrent had something like this for a while, but they also abandoned it.