To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Still wrong emule plugin links plus excessive connections

As stated on a previous topic, the links for the emule plugin for bitcomet are still wrong, "eMule plugin v1.23" still leading to http://download.bitcomet.com/achive/BitComet_1.23_xtreme_plugin.exe and "eMule plugin (Xtreme Mod) v1.23" still leading to http://download.bitcomet.com/beta/BitCometBeta_20100818_xtreme_plugin.exe . One must go to the archives to get the regular plugin, please correct the links, as you're forcing people to use the xtreme plugin. Another thing is that after installing regular 1.23 emule plugin, it still reports as being v1.22.

I've used bitcomet for quite some time with just tcp being forwarded, while udp was blocked in the router. I recently forwarded udp, and now I get a huge increase of connections, from regular 100-200 to more than 1000. It doesn't show on bitcomet because the statistics are only referring to tcp, but I have a network monitor that shows me the connections established, and most of the connections are through udp, using plenty of ports, most not being the port I specified in bitcomet's options. From what I've read, udp is only meant to avoid the overhead on the connection, so it shouldn't be weighing on the overall bitcomet performance. What is the reason behind this?

No system settings were changed ever since forwarding udp.

Another question I have is after selecting "system.use_app_data" to false, which files contain bitcomet config, as I'd like to uninstall bitcomet and reinstall, but I want to keep all my configs and layouts.

BitComet 1.23

Antivirus/Firewall: Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

Connection: ADSL over router

Edited by tribaljet (see edit history)

UDP is being used by the DHT Network. Now, that you have an open UDP port you are an active DHT node, which can be contacted by others and who can share and relay info and "chat" with other nodes. That's why you see the increased "connections" number.

You should however be aware that UDP is a connectionless protocol therefore it doesn't use on the host system the resources that TCP would use if it opened that many connections. It may however overcome at times your router's NAT table if it's not equipped with enough memory to handle, let's say, at least 1500-2000 outgoing entries simultaneously. But if you haven't had problems on that side so far, then you shouldn't be worried.

OTOH, if you don't like it you can always disable DHT.

You may find the answer to your last question in this FAQ topic.

So far it topped at 1500 simultaneous connections, but didn't seem to affect general internet usage that much, and I'm quite ok with being another node, after all it's what P2P is all about, right? :)

What about saving configs and layouts? Is it enough to backup bitcomet.xml and downloads.xml (after selecting system.use_app_data to false), or is there any other file that should be backed up?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed the FAQ.

EDIT2: Even though it was quite informative, a better link would be Files used by BitComet

And please fix bitcomet emule plugins urls, it's a nice complement to an already quite capable app, but having the option, I'll happily use the regular emule plugin.

And on a non related note, a great addition to cometforums would be having the option to receive an email when there are new posts to topics which the user created or posted. I just say this since I've seen other forums with similar structure to this one, that have that option.

Other than that, thanks for being so helpful greywizard :)

Yep, you're right. That topic you mention deals with the files you seek, the one I've linked you to, deals with the locations where you can find those files.

You can automatically save all settings of BitComet along with the Task List by going to File-->Import and Export Download List...; the settings files are automatically saved along in the .bak file. When you make the import you can choose to import or not the settings, too.

The email notification option you speak of, exists in the forums. You have to go to your profile page then click on the "Edit my profile" button. Then on the top of the page click on the "Forums" tab (under "Your Options"). On that page, look into the View/Posting/Email Prefs section. There you should find the options you seek. There are similar options related to email notifications, on the "Profile" and "Settings" tabs, pertaining to comments, friends and PMs.

You seem to misunderstand the purpose of the setting.

It's a bad idea to set system.use.appdata to false because, instead of storing its files in %appdata%, BitComet will go back to storing them in the program tree. That was always a terrible idea, and newer versions of Windows starting with Vista are at last waking up to the idea that they should maybe protect their own execution environments.

Windows really, really, really, really does not want you storing things in the program tree. It will hide the tree from you and deceive you (see "virtual storage"), so that you'll end up in %appdata% anyway. Sometimes, BitComet will succeed anyway, but the OS will lie to you. Thus it may appear to you, under your current account, that there's nothing in the program tree: your config files are gone!

So set this value to "true" and forthrightly store them in %appdata%. There's no reason not to. It never hurts to back up your configuration files, even in several places since the files themselves are tiny. In fact, if you have an unused corner of a thumb drive kicking around in a drawer somewhere, why not store a copy of them on it, too? (In fact, while you're about it, export your browser's bookmarks to an html file and store that on the thumb drive too.)

It's all about not spreading dozens of files throughout the hdd, namely appdata and such, when I can just have a tidy bitcomet backup. When having to back up several apps, each with tons of files scattered throughout the hdd, having it all in the same place comes very much in handy.

To answer your first question, there is no other particular advantage in saving the files manually, except that you can restore ONLY BitComet settings WITHOUT having to import the tasklist, too. That is, you get a more fine grained control of what you do... but that is the path of those who want to become more experienced.

As for the second issue, I'm afraid I don't understand your argument. In fact, since you use Windows 7 it's a MUCH better idea to let that option set to TRUE. That's because, if UAC the setting files won't go in Program Files directory anyway (Windows won't allow it), but in the Users\Appdata\VirtualStore\Program Files\Bitcomet and that is even deeper buried into the entrails of the file system.

Besides, this gives way to infinite complications. E.g. if you inadvertently set UAC off later, then BitComet may be able to write into the real Program Files folder and this will make you end up with 2 sets of configuration files. Or if UAC was off earlier and you enable it later, then your settings files won't be accessible later (newer ones may be created in the afore-mentioned VirtualStore folder by Windows and you may be coming here complaining that you can't find your tasklist anymore).

This happened A LOT with dozens of Vista and Win 7 users before the introduction of that option and, in fact, that's the very reason it was introduced, in the first place (we began complaining to the development team too, because it was so hard to troubleshoot so many users' problems due to the great number of potential different scenarios that could lead to this type of bad results and due to the fact that most of the users had a hard time really comprehending how file system virtualization works in Windows and thus it was very hard for us to determine what caused the error in the first place and consequently to provide a working solution).

This was an option which was requested in chorus by ALL forum staff members (to unload the burden of configuring everybody's client from our shoulders). Therefore, while it may still make sense for Win XP users who already had their config files in the Program Files folder (since earlier versions of BitComet) it's pretty much pointless for most users of later Windows versions.

You can still change its value, but you have to fully comprehend its implications and acknowledge that if you start having problems with your tasklist or settings, you're on your own, since Advanced Options are meant for advanced users (therefore it's implicitly understood that you know what you're doing).

If you simply want to back up your settings files regularly, from where I stand it seems much easier to do it from the %appdata%\Bitcomet folder than from the other multiple possible locations once you set the option to FALSE. That is, if I understood well, what you're trying to do.

As a third thing, you should keep in mind that .torrent files, are in fact "configuration" files (metadata, actually), too. That is, if your intention is to restore your tasklist at a later moment integrally (i.e. after formatting your partition or after a clean Windows reinstall) you will need them too, not only the downloads.xml file. So, they should be (or not) a part of your regular backup, depending on the purpose of your backup.

Thanks for the explanation. I am aware of the virtualization windows uses, but fine grain control is something I looked forward to from the start, besides the basic task list and settings. Also, with UAC turned off and the option set to false, BitComet only creates dummy folders, with all real files and folders remaining in program files. I understand the usefulness of system folders for some versatility, and security associated with UAC usage, but having the choice to use the install folder for storing everything is much more to my liking.

I didn't get to ask if you can change the links for both emule plugins, currently still being both xtreme versions, regular and beta.

Hi tribajet, the links for BitComet eMule plugin have been corrected.

The plugin status in BitComet options did not display the version correctly, but it is the version (1.23) you installed.

Thank you for your support.

Glad to be of help :) BitComet is a great software, the best torrent client by far, for me. I even tried recently downloading through http, and it performed quite well. Even if little things like correcting links matter close to nothing, it's good that the whole BitComet environment gets closer to perfection. And like 1337 ppl say, BitComet FTW! :lol: