To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Unable to set Total Downloaded / Total Uploaded after upgrading

ejwcobra

BitComet version: Upgraded from 1.12 to 1.25

Internet Connection: Cable (Comcast)

Network Setup: Modem + Linksys Router

OS: Windows Vista Business x64 SP2, all updates installed.

Here is my problem. I just upgraded from v1.12 to v1.25 and I am unable to set the "Total Downloaded" / "Total Uploaded" values (viewable under the Statistics tab, the values are stored in the BitComet.xml file). I have been using BitComet for a very long time (for about 5 years, since v0.70), and I would like to keep my "Total Downloaded" / "Total Uploaded" statistics (which total about 3TB). Setting the values in the xml file does absolutely nothing. Does BitComet store these values elsewhere now?

Just FYI, I searched the forums but didn't find anything about this topic. If this is posted in the wrong location, I apologize in advance. I am a computer science major, so I'm no stranger to computers/programs/programming/networking/etc.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure why you want to manually change your bitcomet stats, and we can't recommend you do this, but to answer your question, the method of storing the config files has been changed to help stop loss of data on some systems. If you go into your options>advanced and if "system use app data" value is set to "true", then on your windows version you should find the current xml files in...

c:\users\"your name"\AppData\Roaming\Bitcomet\

This is the default setting for current versions. In the past, depending on your user account settings, windows sometimes would store them in "virtual store", and this caused problems for many users.

Older windows and bitcomet versions stored the data in the "program files" directory.

Thanks for the tip, this solved my problem.

To answer your question, the reason I want to manually change the stats is because I want the upgraded program to use the old (a.k.a. historical) data rather than just throwing that data out the window. I do think that, in general, the new non-file-based configuration system will be better for most users. However, I'm sure there are a few users (myself included) who want the flexibility that the xml configuration file provides, so thanks for keeping that option in BitComet.

Just to clarify, all bitcomet versions use the .xml files to store the data. Newer windows operating systems began storing the data in the virtual store section in some cases, but since it caused problems, like complete loss of all stats and settings, we made the "system use app data" option. This is the default setting now, but when you installed overtop of a previous version, it most likely imported the settings it used.

Glad we were able to help.