To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Intellectual rights

mikede1025

Hello. I'm very new to this and I'm terribly confused. While using BitComet I downloaded a movie from The Pirate Bay site. Not very long afterwards I got a letter from my ISP (Mediacom) about copywrite infringement and told me I made an illegal download. Well, a few months after that it happened again. With this new letter they told me that if it happens yet again that I will be banned from Mediacom indefinitely. If that happened I'd have no internet at all. Did I make some sort of mistake downloading? What I don't understand is with all the people who download all sorts of things for all sorts of torrent sites, how or why in the world did I get nailed with this? Now I'm scared to download anything at all for fear of losing my cable service. Can anyone enlighten me about what I did wrong or what I should have done instead or something at all??

Thanks,

Mike

hola mikede1025:

No creo que debas preocuparte, pues esas notificaciones son por via automatica al acceder a una Web como The Pirate Bay, ya que actualmente está en el punto de mira por parte de las grandes compañias, que han conseguido desmantelar dicha Web.

El hundimiento de The Pirate Bay ahora recibió su golpe de gracia, toda vez que su dueño el famoso y admirado Peter Sunde ha decidido hacerse a un lado, alegando que el ciclo vital de su web ha llegado a su fin, (aunque la pagina este por el momento activa).The Pirate Bay es una página ícono de la lucha a favor de las descargas libres en Internet, como en su momento fue Napster o Audiogalaxy, y que han logrado resistir ataques a través de los años y convertirse en el sitio principal de intercambio de archivos.

Sus servidores alojan millones de enlaces torrents a disposición de todos los usuarios, provocando la furia de las grandes compañías, y es así como sus dueños se convirtieron en la cara de la rebeldía en Internet. Los hemos visto a lo largo de los años siendo objeto de noticias por sus interminables batallas, amenazando con comprar una plataforma petrolífera con consideración de país, en la que no se aplicaría las leyes antidescargas del resto del mundo, siempre respondiendo con humor y creatividad a sus atacantes, eso los ha diferenciado del resto y por esa razón se han ganado el afecto de los internautas.

Ahora que el árbol ha caído, no han esperado sus enemigos para hacer leña de él, y más demandas han salido a flote. Dado el asedio del que están siendo víctimas, Peter Sunde, fundador de la web, ha decidido ponerle fin y abandona el barco. Renuncia a ser portavoz del sitio, porque la gestión de la página le quita tiempo que podría emplear en otro tipo de cosas que tiene pensado hacer, desea dirigirse a nuevas direcciones, pero no renuncia a su lucha por hacer de Internet un mejor lugar. Señala que su decisión marca el fin de una época, pues ya está claro que este barco se hundió, aunque siempre será recordado por su incansable lucha.

La descarga gratuita de archivos es una de las razones del éxito del Internet, aunque poco a poco muchos de estos sitios se hayan visto envueltos en varios problemas legales, e incluso algunos hayan tenido que cerrar o eliminar gran cantidad de archivos. No todas son malas noticias ya que por cada sitio que cierra, abren muchos más! Un ejemplo es Mininova, una web con más de 5 años de funcionamiento y una de las más importantes para la descarga de torrents, cerró parcialmente al denegar el acceso a más de un millón de torrents "ilegales".

Aqui te dejo una lista con otros sitios muy buenos en donde puedes encontrar torrents.

(no conozco muy bien las paginas de tu zona... pero se que estan muy bien consideradas entre las paginas de p2p de habla Inglesa) :)

Mininova

Vertor

SeedPeer

Torrentreactor

ExtraTorrent

KickassTorrents

BTjunkie

isoHunt

yourBitTorrent

Fulldls

Espero haberte sido de ayuda, y no te preocupes por eso... simplemente opta por otras paginas. ;)

©Saludos, 问候

Hello mikede1025:

I don't think that you should worry, as those notifications are made automatically, when accessing a site such as The Pirate Bay, as it's presently under the sights of the large companies that have managed to dismantle it.

The sinking of The Pirate Bay has received its coupe de grâce, now that its famous and admired owner, Peter Sunde has decided to step aside, claiming that the life-cycle of his site has come to an end (although, at the moment, the page is active).The Pirate Bay s a flag site of the battle in favor of free downloads on the Internet, as were, in their own time, Napster or Audiogalaxy, that has managed to resist attacks throughout the years, converting itself in the principal site of file-interchange.

Its servers host millions of torrent links, available to all users, provoking the fury of the large companies and, hence, how its owners became the the icons of rebeldy in the Internet. We have seen them, throughout the years, be the object of news, because of their interminable battles, threatening to buy an oil platform/rig with the classification of a separate country, in which the anti-downloading laws of the rest of countries wouldn't be applied, always replying to their attackers with humor and creativity - this has differentiated them from the rest and, for that reason, they have won the affection of the Internet users.

Now that the tree has fallen, its enemies haven't lost any time in attempting to make firewood out of it and more suits have surfaced. Due to the harassment that they are being victims of, Peter Sunde, founder of the site, has decided to put an end to it and is abandoning the ship. He renounces to being the spokesman of the site, because the management of said site deprives him of time that he could spend on other types of things that he has in mind. He wants to take different directions, but isn't giving up on his battle of making the Internet a better place. He states that his decision marks the end of an era, as it's clear that this ship sank, although he will always be remembered for his tireless fight.

The free downloading of files is one of the reasons of the Internet's success, although, little by little, many of these sites have been involved in various legal problems and some, even, have had to shut down or eliminate a great number of files. Not all are bad news as, for every site that closes, many more open up! One example is Mininova, a website with more than 5 years' running and one of the most important, for the dowloading of torrents, partially closed when it denied access to more than one million "illegal" torrents. I'll leave you, here, a list of other very good sites, where you can find torrents.

(I don't know the sites very well, around your location... but I do know that they are very highly regarded, amongst the English-speaking p2p pages) :)

Mininova

Vertor

SeedPeer

Torrentreactor

ExtraTorrent

KickassTorrents

BTjunkie

isoHunt

yourBitTorrent

Fulldls

I hope that I've been of some help to you and, don't worry about it... simply opt for other sites. ;)

©Regards, 问候

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

mikede, other people are perhaps a little more clever about it. Avoid downloading very recent popular movies and music. These are what the MPAA mostly watches. They're usually of lousy quality anyway. But do keep in mind that what you're doing is of questionable legality.

Also keep in mind that nobody is paying Mediacom to play netcop. The only person paying them is you, so I suggest you change service providers immediately. If Mediacom asks you why, explain that you don't react well to threats, and that threatening customers isn't usually a terribly good business strategy, but not to worry, you're going elsewhere and they won't have to take your money anymore...

It's quite likely you'll find somebody who gives you a better deal anyway. (Most providers save all their goodies for new customers rather than rewarding the loyalty of old ones.)

Make sure you've set your client to use encrypted connections. ( Options -> Task -> Bittorrent -> Protocol Encryption : Always) This doesn't make you indetectable, it just gives your ISP an excuse. Most of them don't WANT to hurt themselves on behalf of the MPAA. They're just complying, reluctantly, with the sillier provisions of the DMCA.