To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Disapointed

benbuckley05

Hi,

I paid for 10GB bandwidth plan for a month today. i am happy with the speed and everything else and was planning to subscribe every month. I truly thought that it related to speed not data as 10GB of data is not mentioned anywhere. Maybe i should have known better and it hardly going to break the bank. But two things had really put me off.

1. i had already downloaded 50% of a 7GB file but it charged me for the whole 7GB. i thought ok no problem when this is done i will download the next file (3.5 GB).

2. After the download finished i then came to understand that i am only allowed to download 10GB per month. So the 10GB bandwidth is misleading as what you are actually selling is 10GB worth of transfer data not 10GB bandwidth. So i had a total of 7GB to download(2x 3.5 GB) and was not even able to download the second part. So basically i paid a month subscription for 2 hours of downloading half of what i wanted? how can I be happy with that?

Here is the web definition of bandwidth.

'a data transmission rate; the maximum amount of information (bits/second) that can be transmitted along a channel'

Anyway I am sure there are probably other definitions that support bandwidth as only data trandfer not speed but you strangely had not put that in the advertising (i.e. for $5 you can download 10GB worth of data).

Regards

Edited by benbuckley05 (see edit history)

Hi, on the 10GB package, you have upto 30days to use the 10GB. Unfortunately it must use the torrent's full size when determining how much to withdraw from your account. I know the development team has been considering ways to make it work on a partial torrent download, but I can't say when or even if that will happen. We are glad that you saw a benefit to using the service and you will see improvement as it continues to be developed.

As for the term "Bandwidth", Like most technical computer terms they can have varied meanings. For example, according to bittorrent protocol, ever peer is a leecher until they have downloaded 100% of the torrent, but calling someone a leecher will arouse anger in many people because the less accurate, but more common definition is someone who takes but doesn't give. We all consider them the scourge of the torrent community because torrents would all die if people didn't keep them running until they have uploaded their fair share. In this case, your account measures the bandwidth that our servers use in the only accurate method the developers could use, which of course is the size of the task that your downloading.

Also keep in mind that if you have a poor connection and it causes you to drop a lot of data for being corrupt, then our servers may have to send you the same data two or more times, using more bandwidth but your still only charged for the data that you download that passes the hash check and is 100% intact. Any metered download bandwidth that a service provider sells would never do that. You could download the same content a dozen times and still not receive a 100% perfect copy and with that method you would have to pay for each.

As you can see, there are "two sides to every coin", if you understand that expression. Another way to look at it is a "flat-rate" method of paying for bandwidth. We are saying that you have paid to download 10GB, so we are going to use as much as it takes to get you that much, even if we have to send you more then 10GB, you won't ever have to pay extra. In addition, we have added a new feature where you can get your bandwidth refunded if the task cannot complete. No ISP offers refund if you can't get what you want through no fault of their own.

I'm sure you'll agree it's impossible to be completely fair in every aspect, but if you consider all points of view, you should come to the conclusion that we are trying.

However even without VIP, in a worse case scenario, BitComet will download just as fast as any other torrent client, and in many cases much faster, because of it's unique ability to download your torrent's data from other sources outside that torrents swarm of peers, be it through connections to peers from another torrent with some or all of the same content, connections to LTseed peers, emule peers, or any other supported protocol.

When you consider everything together, I think you'll agree BitComet is trying to be fair, and no one is forced to use vip, it's simply an option to enhance the performance that requires very expensive servers to work on your behalf.

Hi UnUsual Suspect,

Thanks for your reply, it is very intelligent and well structured and i agree with you :) . It was my mistake and terms like bandwidth can have various meanings. i would not have posted except that i guess i was annoyed at paying for 10GB and only getting 6GB. But thanks anyway for taking to the time to reply.

Regards

Edited by The UnUsual Suspect
Removal of unrelated comments (see edit history)

I want to finish this post by thanking Lucy who has been awesome! She contacted me resolved my problem today, so i am very happy now. Thanks a lot Lucy and UnUsual :)

Really nice of both of you to help i am very happy with it all. Many thanks

:)

Edited by The UnUsual Suspect
removal of unrelated comments (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Results will vary depending on the type of internet connection the user has and the overall health of the torrent being downloaded. We are working on better documentation on when it can best help (generally when you have limited upload speed), and when it cannot (for example, if there are no sources for the data available).

Even in the best conditions, you will never receive data faster then your connection will allow, but VIP can help you to use your maximum download bandwidth. There are many users who have found it very helpful.