To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

torrent file size issue

whenever i try to download a large torrent file of size for example 10 gb. comet shows the left size wrong it keeps downloading for very long time and shows that it has downloaded more then the size of the torrent file. for a 10 gb file it downloads 18 gbs i am so much pissed by this problem none my torrents are downloading on time for the being i am downloading a torrent file of 11.09 gbs it has downloaded 9.39 gbs and still showing the left size to be about 6.02 gbs how can it be possible? i am an old user of bitcomet i dont like any other client to manage my downloads pls help me. sorry for bad english pls i need help as soon as possible. contact me on my email honey_mtrk91(at the rate of)yahoo(dot)com see attachment for further details.post-67685-13074281793669.jpg i am using bitcomet version 1.27

Edited by honeymtrk (see edit history)

Hi,

We will try to help you, but first please understand the correct terms so communication can be accurate. A torrent "file" is a very small text file (usually less then 1mB in size). It downloads very quickly and then is opened and used to start the task that may download one or more files that make up the total task size.

Please refer to the file.torrent as a torrent file and the files it downloads as your task, or downloaded files.

Now, regarding your task. If you hover your mouse over the download stats, you'll see a popup or "hover" window that looks something like this.

post-1287-13074374708327.jpg

This will tell us what type of protocol was used for each amount and also any dropped data. Dropped data can be data that was corrupt from the peer that sent it, or became corrupt in transit, or even on your computer itself if there is some kind of harddrive or file system error.

There are also cases where torrents are designed to do this. Some anti p2p groups have been known to make fake torrents that will continue to download corrupt data to frustrate p2p users. A good test would be to run a torrent from a legitimate company that publishes software via bittorrent such as a linux distribution like (ubuntu.com) or a program like OpenOffice (openoffice.org), which is a great and FREE product. If your able to download one of these without losing any dropped data, that would confirm that your system and connection are intact and not the problem.

Hi,

We will try to help you, but first please understand the correct terms so communication can be accurate. A torrent "file" is a very small text file (usually less then 1mB in size). It downloads very quickly and then is opened and used to start the task that may download one or more files that make up the total task size.

Please refer to the file.torrent as a torrent file and the files it downloads as your task, or downloaded files.

Now, regarding your task. If you hover your mouse over the download stats, you'll see a popup or "hover" window that looks something like this.

post-1287-13074374708327.jpg

This will tell us what type of protocol was used for each amount and also any dropped data. Dropped data can be data that was corrupt from the peer that sent it, or became corrupt in transit, or even on your computer itself if there is some kind of harddrive or file system error.

There are also cases where torrents are designed to do this. Some anti p2p groups have been known to make fake torrents that will continue to download corrupt data to frustrate p2p users. A good test would be to run a torrent from a legitimate company that publishes software via bittorrent such as a linux distribution like (ubuntu.com) or a program like OpenOffice (openoffice.org), which is a great and FREE product. If your able to download one of these without losing any dropped data, that would confirm that your system and connection are intact and not the problem.

ohhh thats very kind of you for your time i have done some tests according to your advice and i have found that my connections are totally fine but as you have said above this could be a fake torrent or something else is wrong with it, a friend of mine has downloaded the same file through the same torrent and nothing went wrong at that time, but i must also include that this is not a problem in bitcomet in anyways as far as i have discovered. so i was satisfied with this client before and i am satisfied now and hope to always be satisfied from bitcomet this is all due to your support thankyou so much. you have rescued me from lot of frustration.