To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Very annoying CB issue

Not liking CB4, I reverted back to the previous version. All has been well until about a week or so ago.

Lets say for example, I open up CB, my homepage is Yahoo, it'll open up two windows, and I'll close one of them. I'll type something in a search engine and it'll bring up the results. I'll click a link and it will load that web-page in the same window, but then it will pop up another new window with the Yahoo Homepage. It does this for all links on all sites.. click a link.. and there it is a new window opens to the Yahoo Homepage...

It's thoroughly annoying. I ran my premium version (and daily updated) SUPERAntiSpyware, my computer is clean.. in fact, last time I had a virus was over 8 months ago, when I scan, I get 4 to 6 tracking cookies, max. Those are not free from being zapped.. so they are removed.

So what is causing this very annoying thing? It's not so bad if I'm just looking at a page, but I'm a quick person, and when I'm trying to type something in a field, it stops because of this stupid random window opening up every single time I click a link.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling CB, to no avail.. it still does the same thing.

Thanks for any solutions anyone may have. (^ _ ^)

Edited by akikofujishima (see edit history)

Thanks, it seems to have worked. The thing is, I hadn't added any new extensions for a long time. This actually started happening when I moved my PC from one side of my living room to the other. Then when I booted my PC back up, and clicked my CB desktop icon, I started to get the other window. At first I thought it was restoring an old session, so I closed it down. But then when I clicked on any link.. even from Skype or YM it would open that link in my current opened window and then a second window would come up with just my home page..

When I was looking up solutions online I found that a lot of people were having this same problem with Firefox and IE.. but none of their solutions worked for me.

Thanks again! ^__^

I spoke too soon.. everything worked fine, but now I can't view anything on YouTube.. =__= I don't want to have to keep my browser in safe-mode just to be able to use the internet without being annoyed by a window constantly popping up. I don't just use my PC as a PC.. it's my TV, PC, and home phone all in one.

I'm not getting any sort of error message from Youtube either.. just the video box on the site is just black.. no statements about it being a Flash or Java issue..

safe-mode was a test, not a solution. From here you can reset your cometbird to default, then add only the extensions you need, or you can boot in normal mode and disable the extensions one at a time.

The test told us that it wasn't a bug with cometbird, it was a setting or extension.

ps. The reason youtube didn't work is because it requires the adobe flash extension to work. Also, when you find the offending extension, there may be a setting to change it's behavior, so you man not have to disable it if you can adjust the setting.

That's what I meant, I apologize for not clarifying. ^__^ I didn't keep it in safe-mode.. I had seen the option to reset CB to default, which I did, but it didn't work.

But today, I think I found the culprit.. I only have 6 Add-Ons.. but there was one called LivingPlay TextLinks.. that I don't recall ever seeing or ever installing. And since it had TextLinks in the name, on a hunch I disabled it.. and it seems to have fixed the issue. We'll see how it goes.. because when I set things back to default with my first attempt via your suggestion of safe-mode, things worked fine after restarting normally for a while.. but then after a few hours it was doing it again.

But, I'm really hoping it was this LivingPlay TextLinks thing.. :D

Thanks again. ^__^

Edited by akikofujishima (see edit history)