To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Subtitles out of Sync

bigaldo3

I am using MPCStar 5.4 and I have a subtitle file that is out of sync with the video. It appears to be about 90 seconds ahead of the corresponding video. Is there any way I can fix this? Should I try downloading another SRT file in the hopes that it will be in sync?

The frame-rate of your video matters more here, as you can adjust the offset with the "[" and "]" keys on your keyboard. When looking for a subtitle file first find out what is the fps of the video in the file proprieties (ctrl+i) ,in the left panel, at the last entry, click the "+" next to it and select video, to the right you will see the video proprieties and the fps of the video, for example:

- Connection media type:

Video: Xvid 512x384 23.98fps 974Kbps

Thank you for the response. It is helpful. Now my problem is that even though I can sync the subtitles with the video, the subtitles are running noticeably faster than the video and after about 30 seconds they are noticeably ahead of the corresponding video. Is there any way to slow down the subtitles?

If the subtitle file is constructed for a video file running at a different framerate then the movie and the subtitles will constantly become more and more out of sync as time passes by, since the delays between subs and audio add up with each second that it passes.

That is, as opposed to a file which uses the same framerate as your video but is just out of sync because, for instance, the version of the video for which it was made started a couple of seconds earlier or latter.

You could either try converting the sub to your framerate in one of the many free subtitle editing programs out there but you'd need to know the current framerate your subtitle file uses now, to begin with.

Or you could experiment with different initial framerates, convert from each one of those and see which one yields a good, usable result.

Usually, if there is any chance to find another subtitle file that may work with your video, it's much less work to search for another subtitle than change an out of sync one.