To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet shows active "Overall download rate" while no separate task shows anything actually downloading

twDDERSS

BitComet shows active "Overall download rate" while no separate task shows anything actually downloading (DHT network is turned off).

I could understand if I had no active tasks showing any uploads, and yet non-zero "Overall upload rate" while "Long-term seeding" turned on, but there is obviously no "Long-term leeching" option, so how it is possible that BC says something downloads and yet nothing really downloads?

And why BC does not even have the fuctionality to show current log where I could see what it is actually doing?

There are separate logs for every task, but if not even single separate task downloads anything (I tried "All downloads", "Downloading", "Active" selection/sorting), how can I see what are those "37 kB/s" of downloads that BC claims it downloads right now?

This must be a bug.

Does anyone know when this could be fixed?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by twDDERSS (see edit history)

We would need more information to try to reproduce it, things like screenshots of the stats you're reporting and info on the version of bitcomet and your computer and it's local and internet connection.

I can tell you that I've not seen this, but there is some global downloading done with no active tasks if LTseed option is enabled, but unless you have a huge number of tasks loaded in your client, it would be more like 1-3kB/s max, no where near what you report.

Hi, thanks for reply.

Please see in the attachments screenshots:

1) of the "Options" menu, where it shows that LTSeeding is off;

2) four screenshots of tasklists with "Downloading" sorting on. I could make screenshots of raw list, but there would be too many, and yet there is no additional downloading among other "non-downloading" tasks anyway, I checked it few times, so "Downloading" should be enough. "Active tasks" sorting does not disclose the leaking downloading destination either. The fourth screenshot mostly matches the third, because there are just few last tasks seen that did not fit into the third screenshot. As you can see, DHT is off.

3) At this current moment one actual task does download about 70 kB/s, however, overall download rate is about 37 kB/s bigger than that -- as seen both at the bottom, in status section, and at the top, in the tittle of the window. And there is no way for me to know from where and to where those 37 kB are going. When there are no tasks that are actually download, both status and title show pure (around) 37 kB/s download rate that goes from nowhere to nowhere.

If only there was "Log" item in "View" menu, I could see what data goes from where to where, but, as of now, I can not.

post-101101-0-51066000-1355725495.png

post-101101-0-09068100-1355725512.png

post-101101-0-80045500-1355725523.png

post-101101-0-24117600-1355725532.png

post-101101-0-81611800-1355725539.png

The problem appears to be that you're trying to download 72 tasks concurrently. Please stop them all and try running one or two at a time, with such a large number it's normal and expected to get a large amount of "overhead" bandwidth wasted, additionally, you'll never be able to support that many tasks even on the worlds fastest residential connections, most connections shouldn't run more then 2-3 healthy torrents at a time, some of the slower connections should limit to one at a time.

I just cut off, stopped all tasks besides the only one that shows actual downloading, but result is the same -- still about 30-40 KB/s downloads going from nowhere to nowhere. (I actually have a lot of running tasks most of the time and usually there is no issue with ghost-bandwidth -- there was never such thing before, no matter how many tasks were active. So I am not surprised that stopping tasks does not solve the issue.)

Strangely, BC shows about 360 connections (see the attached screenshot).

With this, it still looks like a "bug". Can you please fix it?

post-101101-0-74951700-1355757210.png

Any guesses?

Could you please add "log" item in the menu "View"?

Also, upload/download data is supposed to show useful actual download/upload data, not protocol packets overhead. Even it is not so now, BC never showed that it downloads/uploads something even there is nothing to download/upload actually, it just showed 0/0 -- zeros, no matter how many connections were supported. So why those 30 kB/s?

The total in the title bar is the total bandwidth bitcomet uses, upload, download and overhead. The task data is the actual data that was downloaded successfully. They can vary greatly in some cases if some of the pieces are received and don't pass hash check, so they must be discarded and redownloaded. It appears that your problem may be a problem with bitcomet, or your system, even malware infections could cause such a thing so what we (forum staff) usually do is try to reproduce bugs that are reported, if we can confirm them, we pass the info onto the development team where they attempt to pinpoint the cause.

Unfortunately being freeware, our forum staff are all volunteers and I personally will be busy spending Christmas with family, when I return I'll gladly find the time to try to reproduce the problem. In the meantime perhaps one of our support team can help to confirm if this bug actually exists in the client, or if we need to consider other possibilities.

Either way I'll do what I can when time allows, in the meantime you're welcome to try an older version, the link in my signature will have every prior version, the .zip files don't need to be installed, so you can try them without making changes to your computer... just don't try to run two versions at the same time. If you can confirm if this is present in other versions it may help us track this down.

In any event, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

i am the same problem for the last 1 year or so.........i have tried many early versions of bitcomet earlier but evry time same problem occurs. bitcomet even shows 50kb/s extra download speed than actual task even while running only 1 task......plz try to fix it coz it wastes my 30% of bandwidth

The total in the title bar is the total bandwidth bitcomet uses, upload, download and overhead. The task data is the actual data that was downloaded successfully. They can vary greatly in some cases if some of the pieces are received and don't pass hash check, so they must be discarded and redownloaded. It appears that your problem may be a problem with bitcomet, or your system, even malware infections could cause such a thing so what we (forum staff) usually do is try to reproduce bugs that are reported, if we can confirm them, we pass the info onto the development team where they attempt to pinpoint the cause.

Unfortunately being freeware, our forum staff are all volunteers and I personally will be busy spending Christmas with family, when I return I'll gladly find the time to try to reproduce the problem. In the meantime perhaps one of our support team can help to confirm if this bug actually exists in the client, or if we need to consider other possibilities.

Either way I'll do what I can when time allows, in the meantime you're welcome to try an older version, the link in my signature will have every prior version, the .zip files don't need to be installed, so you can try them without making changes to your computer... just don't try to run two versions at the same time. If you can confirm if this is present in other versions it may help us track this down.

In any event, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas

Thanks for the advice and the help.

This 1.32 BC version works, tasks get downloaded, if there are active seeders, so there is no need for me to return to older version. The question only with kBs that I see, while previously there was 0/0 when nothing was downloaded/uploaded. Overhead would occur while there is actual data to move, but not when there is nothing moves.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials fully on, Firewall on (with few exceptions like 9414 port for BC).

I also not sure how it is possible to repoduce this issue, except for when you have some tasks active with no seeders available at the time, and yet there would be like 350 established and 30 half-open connections.

So the only thing you could report to developer team is that there should be "Logs" item in "View" menu and/or maybe way to see list of those 350 established and 30 half-open connections -- to which IPs those are -- because there no way to know this from this version of client.

Have a good time on holidays!