To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BT Download speed proportional to my upload speed? Limit under line capacity? making my DL speeds super slow.

Title says it all really, here what it says;

WARNING: Your BT download speed is proportional to you upload speed! xDSL users please limit your upload rate under you line capacity, otherwise your download speed will be affected.

I haven't been able to get over 100 mb/s for ages on bitcomet, Yet on steam I get like 5200 MB/s all the time.

Any suggestions?

Version 1.34

Fibre Optic/Wireless?

BT Home Hub V3

Windows 7 w/ MSE

2483885433.png

post-119741-0-90668000-1359922970.png

Edited by NinjaKeyring (see edit history)

Your message is confusing and contradicting. You say your unable to get 100 megabits per second, a speed over 5 times faster then the speedtest you posted, then you say you get 5200 megaBYTES per second (41,600 megabits per second) *outrageously fast speed that I question even the worlds fastest commercial servers could come close to* on "steam".

Then you post a speedtest that shows your actual max download speed of less then 20megabits per second.

There is a huge difference between 20 and 41,600, but 20mb/s is still a very respectable speed, and your upload speed of 17mb/s is also quite good, so lets begin with this. First step is to convert your speedtest from b (bits) to B (Bytes) so it will compare to the stats bitcomet uses.

17.0mb/s = 2.125mB/s or 2125kB/s, so you'll want to limit your global max upload so it doesn't use more then 80% of this, so about 1700kB/s would be a good upload limit assuming your speedtest is accurate.

Next, in order to get a good download speed you'll need an open listening port, is yours open? I notice you have it set to use a random port each time, is there any reason you've done this? I suspect your port is blocked so anyone wanting to trade with you cannot unless you contact them first. This is probably the root of your problem and it's a bit of info that should have been in your initial post.

Your message is confusing and contradicting. You say your unable to get 100 megabits per second, a speed over 5 times faster then the speedtest you posted, then you say you get 5200 megaBYTES per second (41,600 megabits per second) *outrageously fast speed that I question even the worlds fastest commercial servers could come close to* on "steam".

Then you post a speedtest that shows your actual max download speed of less then 20megabits per second.

There is a huge difference between 20 and 41,600, but 20mb/s is still a very respectable speed, and your upload speed of 17mb/s is also quite good, so lets begin with this. First step is to convert your speedtest from b (bits) to B (Bytes) so it will compare to the stats bitcomet uses.

17.0mb/s = 2.125mB/s or 2125kB/s, so you'll want to limit your global max upload so it doesn't use more then 80% of this, so about 1700kB/s would be a good upload limit assuming your speedtest is accurate.

Next, in order to get a good download speed you'll need an open listening port, is yours open? I notice you have it set to use a random port each time, is there any reason you've done this? I suspect your port is blocked so anyone wanting to trade with you cannot unless you contact them first. This is probably the root of your problem and it's a bit of info that should have been in your initial post.

Yeah I got a couple of things wrong but I guess you could have put two and two together and realised that I don't have the worlds fastest internet.

But thanks for the quick reply, The reason I have random ports each time on is because sometimes my port was open, and sometimes it was not, that seemed to help but now it isn't atall. I'll call up my ISP now for some assistance in port forwarding then get back to you.

and my ACTUAL DL speed is 60, But im on wireless so it gets rid of alot of it, Probably why I get such good speeds on steam.

Your download speed is 60??? 60 what?

using random ports is a very bad idea, you should use one port and setup portforwarding in your router. I doubt your ISP is willing to help you with this, but you can find guides for most routers at portforward.com, just ignore the advertisements trying to sell you software to open the port for you, it will only further complicate things, then proceed to the guides section and it will walk you through the setup. Once complete you should have a green light on your WAN indicator, then the next step would be to adjust your bandwidth settings to match your connection speed.