To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

VIP download

killbone64

Hello Team,

I am currently downloading a large file (25gb) and it is currently sitting on 70% completion and im tired of waiting for it to complete. So i purchased the $4.99 10gb bandwidth plan to find that it sais i need a whole 25gb bandwidth in order to start VIP on this file?

is there no way to enable it for the rest of the download?

Thanks

VIP is still in development and currently can only use the total task size to gauge how much is used, it would be very complicated to give it this ability but there are plans to improve this so a user can use vip on only part of a task and on partially completed tasks but these are low priority issues and probably won't be addressed until the project moves out of beta testing.. Also, if you use vip on this task it will consume the full 25gb of bandwidth when enabled.

I think it would be best to look into the problems you're having with the task, did it suddenly stall, or has it always been slow? how many seeds and peers are present?

Hey,

not many seeders i believe is the problem, overnight it was going at 300Kbps but now only going at 60-80kbps which may be because of the time difference and my night time is when America is online so that could have helped bump the speeds up.

Oh well ill just wait for it to finish and ill use my 10gb bandwidth on something else :) keen to test it out

Thanks

This is common with new torrents that are large, you start out with one seeder and a small number of peers and everything is rather slow, then after time you might have a few hundred peers all at about the same level of completion and if you join then, you'll get lots of speed from all those peers until you catch up with them, then it will slow down to the rate that the original seeder is able to provide. Check the level the other peers are at, if most are near or below your level, then you're just going to have to wait. In this case VIP couldn't help, it cannot get data faster than the peers can send it. When it can help is when you're unable to get the fastest peers interested in trading with you because of your inability to upload to them. The protocol is designed to pair you with peers that have about the same ability as you. VIP can also do the entire download for you so that your IP isn't shared with the swarm. This won't be as fast but it is a great took for privacy.