To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Cannot login to Bitcomet if using VPN (Astrill)

Since torrent downloading is illegal in Sweden I use Astrill VPN service, however whenever I use Astrill I cannot login to Bitcomet, everything else is fine and I can download, just that I cannot collect my points and speed up my downloads...

I would think that most people in Sweden and other countries where downloading torrents are illegal would appreciate the anonomity with a VPN.

Otherwise thanks for an amazing program!

There is nothing in bitcomet that is stopping you from logging in when using vpn, if you cannot log in I suspect it's because your vpn service is firewalled or perhaps it's a shared connection with other users. If you do have a dedicated vpn connection I would make sure you are not logged in to cometID when you enable it, otherwise you may have problems if you attempt to log in from two different IP addresses.

Also, I don't think the use of bittorrent is illegal anyplace in the world.

Occassionally I get some message on Google.com to verify that I'm a human since there are a lot of requests from my IP. So I assume tons of people use the same IP address and thus I cannot login to Bitcomet. It used to work a few months ago though since I used the Astrill VPN for about three years and been on Bitcomet all that time.

Unfortunately people are getting caught here in Sweden downloading movies and music and they get hefty fines, so I just want to avoid that by using VPN.

I can upgrade the VPN service to get a dedicated IP address, but to do that only for Bitcomet, I might as well give you that money every month instead, right?

I might as well give you that money every month instead, right?

First thing I want to make clear is that although BitComet does offer a vip service that can offer similar privacy that your vpn services offers, but our forum staff has nothing at all to do with this service. It might be a good option for some users but if you're doing a lot of downloading you'd probably be better with a dedicated server rather than trying to share with many other users. Vip is unique because it's designed to enhance your seeding ability so your downloads are faster, a traditional vpn would only slow your seeding so it works more like a seedbox where the client is run on the remote server. However there have been a lot of problems with vip. Judging from feedback it's improved recently, but I no longer have access to test it or confirm any reported bugs so the best advice I can give you is to try it if you like, but don't expect miracles. You can get a refund if you're not happy with the service so there isn't much to lose in trying, but if you download a lot you might be better looking into a dedicated server or seedbox.

ps. Another thought... have you tried setting up your vpn to work with Internet Explorer as well as bitcomet? The cometID pane uses parts of I.E. to display your stats and log you in so it wouldn't hurt to try and see if that would solve the login problem, but you're still going to have other issues if multiple users are on the same torrent using the same shared IP