To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet decided to redownload everything

mser123

So I downloaded a whole season of a show a few days ago. Today I decided to start my BitComet and start uploading for a while (or seeding I think it's called?).

Anyway what I did was I double clicked the torrent file, but the yellow arrow you typically see when you want to upload, did not appear. Instead it started a hash check (I think) and then decided to redownload the whole torrent. Thing is, I already downloaded everything I know it was all finished! Why did it start to re-download the whole thing?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Edited by mser123 (see edit history)

The hash check is not a download, it's rechecking the files. It will do this if anything has changed since the torrent was last running. If bitcomet crashed while the torrent was running, or you shut down your computer while bitcomet was running this could happen. Sometimes it takes more time than windows allows for large torrents to gracefully shut down so data loss can occur. It's best to stop all torrents and close bitcomet before shutting down.

After the hash check is done the percentage being reported will revert to state of download. If all the file are intact it will read 100%.

This can also happen if any of the files are changed or moved.

I have changed the name of one of the videos but it started the whole thing from 0 for some reason. This isn't the first this has happened. I am certain BitComet did not crash becaus ethe download was long done and I had already used it. Thanks for the input.

The hash check starts from 0%, but that isn't downloading. Since one of the files no longer exists, bitcomet will do a hash check, when complete it will display a new level of completion. In most cases when we get this report is the hash check process being mistaken for downloading. If the hash check completed and it reports 0% downloaded, then something else has happened to the files or more than one of them was renamed or moved.