To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

HOW DO I UNCHECK THE CHECKBOX THAT READS 'DO NOT ASK AGAIN' (WHEN HASHCHECKING)

rodspri

Version 1.35 Stable

HOW DO I UNCHECK THE CHECKBOX THAT READS 'DO NOT ASK AGAIN' ?(WHEN HASHCHECKING).

I wanted to avoid being asked if I wanted to do a manual hashcheck every time I restarted BitComet. I assumed that if it didn't ask then I could avoid the hashcheck.

I can't get the dialog box to show up any more, and I can't find an option to enable/disable hashchecking.

Thanks,

Rod

PS: The reason I don't want to hash check is that BitComet keeps freezing on me

I have to use task manager (and also taskkill) to exit the Bitcomet task, and that takes a while until it's killed.

When I restart Bitcomet, it wants to hash check all the downloading files.

This is happening many times a day.

I have 32BG of ram and am running Windows 8.1

Edited by rodspri (see edit history)

I think you're handling this situation wrong. Forcing BitComet to crash is not a good idea as all tasks need to properly close so the progress can be recorded. Normally BitComet won't stop responding as you report so I suspect either you are running a lot of tasks, or perhaps your harddrive/s is overloaded trying to keep up with all the activity. Running low on memory is also a problem that could cause this type of situation but since you report to having 32GB of ram that propably isn't an issue, but out of that ram how much have you allocated towards your disc cache? The default settings are very low and it's upto the user to allocate ram memory for disc cache depending on how much they have available. I'd recommend allocating at least 4gb towards disc cache if you run a lot of tasks, this will lighten the load on your drives considerably and if that's the cause of your system not responding, it should help immensely.

Also, be sure you properly shutdown bitcomet each time, by default the "x" button doesn't shut down, instead click "file" and "exit"

As for the option you speak of, when selected it's recorded in one of the XML files, probably "bitcomet.xml" which can be edited if you understand how they work, or you can rename it to a different name and a new one with default settings will be created the next time you start bitcomet. You can then restore the old one by changing the name back to "bitcomet.xml".

I think you're handling this situation wrong. Forcing BitComet to crash is not a good idea as all tasks need to properly close so the progress can be recorded. Normally BitComet won't stop responding as you report so I suspect either you are running a lot of tasks, or perhaps your harddrive/s is overloaded trying to keep up with all the activity. Running low on memory is also a problem that could cause this type of situation but since you report to having 32GB of ram that propably isn't an issue, but out of that ram how much have you allocated towards your disc cache? The default settings are very low and it's upto the user to allocate ram memory for disc cache depending on how much they have available. I'd recommend allocating at least 4gb towards disc cache if you run a lot of tasks, this will lighten the load on your drives considerably and if that's the cause of your system not responding, it should help immensely.

Also, be sure you properly shutdown bitcomet each time, by default the "x" button doesn't shut down, instead click "file" and "exit"

As for the option you speak of, when selected it's recorded in one of the XML files, probably "bitcomet.xml" which can be edited if you understand how they work, or you can rename it to a different name and a new one with default settings will be created the next time you start bitcomet. You can then restore the old one by changing the name back to "bitcomet.xml".

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Rod