To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Virus as a New Year's gift?

shem

No it doesn't - if you chweck through the posts here, that is a recurring theme. The problem isn't with BC - it's some A/V programs are detecting a 'false positive'.

The standard instructions for any installation are, download it and, when complete, turn the A/V off (you are supposed to stop ALL running apps on an install). When installed, tirn the A/V back on.

'false positive'? :-)

Tnx but I don't need any virus. 

BTW Antivirus analytics DR.WEB do not consider this a false positive. You can call [number elided by Staff]

Version 1.62 did not contain any viruses. There were mistakes and not a few, but it is better than trojans. I'm not going to stop anti-virus protection for the new version 1.63.

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

Trust me - it's a false positive.

All you were asked to do was follow standard installation procedure and stop all running apps. NOT to 'disable A/V' for anything longer than that- scan the download, run scan during operation is normal - scanning during an install can (and does) cause problems.

And I've no intentions of phoning Kazakhstan

Oh - and from the wiki article on Dr Web " Staunch anti-adware policy led to software developers complaints that Dr. Web treated their virus free applications as "virus" and receive no responds from Dr. Web if they try to contact Dr. Web to resolve the issue "

OK, you don’t believe to Dr.WEB, look at the virustotal protocol
that I attached to you

You do not know how to use the Internet? 495 is Moscow. Kazakhstan???
Did you study geography at school????🙂

In any case, it's easier for me to use the buggy 1.62, but without trojans or other software.

OK - I slipped - Kazakhstan is 73. However 74 is the cell phone prefix for Afghanistan (Russia is 7) but not, as a general rule having occasion to actually telephone Russia from Ireland (I do have most of the oblasts in my ham radio log however) I just looked at the first numbers. Now if you had put 007 (which is the actual prefix) things would have been clearer

Be that as it may, THERE IS NO VIRUS

Trust me on this - if there was, this forum would be flooded with 'me too' posts - and you have to admit that you are the only one who appers ro have found it. It didn't show on my computer

I think you're underestimating the impact of this. The installer is being listed by some as Trojans/Viruses and by more reputable AV's as Adware. Either way, the average person won't risk installing something that has so many red flags. I suggest you review any recent changes to the installer (e.g. installer Pay-Per-Install campaigns) and ensure that these are built in a sensible way that doesn't trigger Antivirus detection engines. If this were purely a false positive, then a lot more similar software installers would trigger AV engines, but it's not.

The onus is on the owners/developers of the software, not the user to either change the installer or to contact the AV providers to convince them that there is a false positive. Ignoring this or blaming the user is a quick route to obscurity.

Actually Adaware does NOT flag it, but the general rule for installing a new (or upgraded) app is, and always has been, STOP ALL RUNNING APPLICATIONS.

If you choose to ignore this, then you can have problems (some installations get flagged because they alter registry values which makes the A/V think there is a Trojan when, in fact, there isn't one). You simply restart the A/V after the install completes

Scan during download and after installation is fine.