To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Why is the description of the application written "does not contain any adware", although it is present in the application?

Beverly Ahmad

BitComet - Features:

Easy to Use and Free!
BitComet does not contain any adware or spyware. 

I am using BitComet (64-bit) 1.67 Stable Release build 1.67.5.6. And I always see ads on some applications on the "Start Page":

2020-06-12_21-36-43.png.168c5e3a2ca906d9c4636e32be11c664.png

I did not find how to turn off the display of ads. The "Start Page"main screen tab cannot be disabled.

Why is this misinformation? Why it was impossible to write that - yes, the advertisement is present, you can turn it off for a certain amount.

On 11/5/2009 at 3:32 AM, Anarki said:

Now, I am really happy the bitcomet team can put up games etc if that is true, and I am also not one of thoose who scream that all advertising in software is bad. I realize that in a software such as bitcomet, with the features they are touting, money is going to be required one way or the other, and ads probably being the only viable option. But I wouldnt have suspected this popping up.

I hate sounding offensive and everything so excuse me if I do, but I am putting this very mildly compared to what I am thinking right now and I just got rid of my old faithfull 0.70 for this adware bullshit.

heres a fact: BitComet is one of the most ad filled torrent client in human history and the reason I even put up with this (being an "clean computer" type of guy) is becouse it is indeed a very good, and above all, innovative client and that theese ads can be hidden and if not, they at least stay in the application window.

What i am saying is that with all thoose ads, how on earth can a freaking popup be necceseary? I thought I was upgrading my torrent client when I got 1.15 but instead it feels I got back to like 10 years ago in the age where ad filled "download accelerators" would throw popups in your face.

Like most (if not all) of the pop-up ads, Inkscape is Open Source software (and free).  NOTHING is loaded into the app

However, if you don't want to see them, go to options > appearance and set the default startup tab to something other than Start Page

5 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

Like most (if not all) of the pop-up ads, Inkscape is Open Source software (and free)

How does the fact that the advertised goods are free (CloudConvert, Cyberduck, mRemoteNG, etc.) affects the very fact of the presence of advertising? What, I repeat, contradicts the description of the application on the official website of the developer?

5 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

NOTHING is loaded into the app

Of course loading - advertising banners. But, again, the question is not about that.

Edited by Beverly Ahmad
Added examples of advertised products (see edit history)

Maybe you'd like to point out just where on the website it says that there will be no adverts? What IS said is:

"Our sites contain links to other Internet sites owned by third parties. Your use of each of those sites is subject to the conditions, if any, that each of those sites has posted. We have no control over sites that are not ours, and we are not responsible for any changes to or content on them. Our inclusion on our sites of any third-party content or a link to a third-party site is not an endorsement of that content or third-party site."

Somebody has to cover costs of the server - those don't come free - perhaps you'd like to help by donating for the software?.

Apart from that, I fail to see any problems in adverts (which are not 'pop-up) for free software in a free application is such a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

adware maybe refer to a software running in the computer and shows ad. BitComet does not contains such adware. Now, the setup package contains pages introduce other app ( installation is optional ). In the start page it shows a web page of description other software. it is web page only like the browser. Anyway, to prevent uncertain description, this line from feature is now removed.