To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Unfinished download

Are you downloading the entire contents and, if so, are other downloads continuing?

It's possible that the seeding station isn't complete. A lot of times the .txt or .jpg files actually overlap another segment which has a necessary file. This also applies to your download - without the small part in the 'info' file, the main part of the file may be incomplete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

Are you downloading the entire contents and, if so, are other downloads continuing?

It's possible that the seeding station isn't complete. A lot of times the .txt or .jpg files actually overlap another segment which has a necessary file. This also applies to your download - without the small part in the 'info' file, the main part of the file may be incomplete

What can i do about it? and sorry Im not too much of a nerd! the thing is I never had a problem for year and suddenly bam all in the same day!!!!!

If the source is missing a necessary file (and it may be one of only a few KB) there's nothing you can do apart from trying another source. If it's yourself de-selecting small files, then don't de-select them

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Rhubarb,

Actually I've noticed this to be quite a disturbing trend among the younger generation at the moment, to uncheck/deselect the miniscule sized tiny files such as the "downloaded from 'X' torrent site" text files etc. from all the torrents they download... even though they're usually only at most, a matter of just a few 'bytes' in size, or with 'other' small files, only just a few kilobytes in size. Not exactly files that are going to use up a large amount of harddrive space.

And yet the most common answer I get when asking why they bother doing this, is... "So they don't 'clutter up' my harddrive!"

Yeah... GREAT!!!

It doesn't seem to even OCCUR to them though that WITHOUT those additional tiny files, there's simply 'no means' for them to be able to 'seed' the complete torrent file (in its entirety)  BACK to anyone... resulting in the torrents running out of new active seeds, causing them to die off and no longer be obtainable (much sooner than would likely otherwise be the case), so that those AFTER them who wish to download those torrents (very frustratingly) can NO longer do so!

Just my two cents, but I personally think that those who do this are being rather selfish really.

The ability to be able to select and ONLY download the part (or parts) of a torrent that you wish to, I've always considered to be a very useful feature indeed. But a feature never-the-less that was ONLY ever intended to be used for situations such as if you already have all but just one or two episodes from a tv series or a movie series etc. In which case this feature gives you the abilty to ONLY download the one (or few) remaining episodes from a torrent of an entire series (or season of a series) that you don't already have, and so therefore need, WITHOUT having to download all of the 'other' episodes!

ndx689

• Like 1

They also miss the fact that some info overlaps fragments so a large file may be uinusable due to a small missing segment which was actually carried in part of a .nfo file