To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Banned

Could someone explain me the meaning of "banned" under the tab "Peers" when downloading or uploading a file? I'm sure it's explained somewhere on the forum site but I must not be looking at the right place to get the explanation. Thanks for the help.

connecting (2)

disconnected (2)

banned (2)

Thank you Rhubarb. That's what I thought too but I would understand being banned if I'm downloading a file. What I can't figure out is who would want to ban a peer who is uploading a file for you?  It's illogical wanting to download a file and banning the peer who has it available for download.  I'm puzzled. Thanks anyway.

OK - here's an example: I'm downloading a file in sequential mode and also uploading at the same time. Peer 'X' has an upload in an early part of the file and is also downloading other parts but I want that segment (it may be part of a multi-file download), so I ban X temporaily so that another peer can transfer that particular part and, where I might set the ban for 5 minutes, it couold be set by someone else for a longer period

• 1 year later...