To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ร—
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Unable to install BitComet on Windows 11

I've even tried a virgin install of Windows 11 Pro 2200.493. I'm using adminstrator to install it. I get past Select Language (OK), Welcome to BitComet Installer and click Next then get Error ocurred while installing BitComet and I'm dead in the water. ๐Ÿ˜žย Help please.

Just did this entire experiment from scratch again here. Deleted ๐Ÿ˜„ drive partitions during install process and installed Win 11.2200.493 from USB thumb drive. Booted up and configured Microsoft Edge and then proceeded to install BitComet v1.85. Same scenario it failed at the same step as I posted in my first post here. I then proceeded to install my VPN software, signed into my VPN and tried installing BitComet v1.85. This time it installed with no problem. Someone care to explain why this is? Anyway, glad it installed. Thanks in advance.

The only explanation is something on your system is blocking it. The A/V is a known problem but I haven't come across any other issues on installation either on W 10 or W11.

The current release version of W 11 is 2200.692 (you can download that as a .iso file from MS rather than doing an installation of H1 and updating it and burn that to DVD or convert it to USB using a small app called 'rufus')

These are virgin installs of Win 11 Pro that have Windows Defender disabled. Futhermore, yours is the only torrent client that shows this behavior. All the others I've tried have no problem whatsoever installing on my machine.ย  At this low and minimum installation level I don't know what could be causing the blocking? And why after installing my VPN software does it cause the installer to work? It's a shame because I like BitComet! ๐Ÿ˜žย I'm at a loss.

My machine specs:

Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics 3800MHz

Memory: 16384MB (DDR4 2133MHz)

ย 

The corollary to your statement is that you are the only person reporting that issue.

If the issue was commonplace, we'd have a flood of 'me too' posts. Have you tried older versions and does this happen on all of them?

What may help (or may not - I simply don't know): turn off user protection; set a fixed iIP in the network settings and a high numbered port and set your router to open that port for the IP of the computer (or try installing with the internet disconnected); check that your firewall is open on both UDP and TCP/IP for Bitcomet.

As I said, it has to be something in your system that's causing it to happen and it's a matter of trial and error to pin down just what.

I multi-boot here ('hacked' Windows 11, beta, Windows 10 and Linux) and the only setup where I can't get it to work is Linux (I've tried WINE and Lutris to no avail)

ย 

I tend to agree, but obviously something is different with your installer's initialization routine then the other torrent client installers I've tried since none of the others have this problem. It's kinda difficult to troubleshoot when your product doesn't yield any specific error message. Don't you folks have any debug script then one can run to help determine where the problem is?ย I'm running the installer with admin privs. I get past Select Language (OK), Welcome to BitComet Installer and click Next then getย Error ocurred while installing BitCometย and I'm dead in the water. What is the program trying to do at that exact time? Appreciate any help with this puzzle.

Edited by Par-A-Normal
Grammer (see edit history)

Ok, I don't want to run this issue into the ground but I've spent enough time on this issue! The problem seems to be in the initialization process where it has to download some additional files. As to why it's an issue, I have no idea since no other software displays this behavior. The other key is why installing my VPN software then allow the software to be installed. I'm at a loss on that one also. Oh well.......

As I said, it's not happening with anyone else, so I'm afraid that, in this instance you're on your own. I have tried (W 10 and W 11 release and beta) to duplicate it but it installs each time with no problem so long as ALL background apps are shut down.

The only 'additional' files are the freebies =- did you try rejecting them? The app that bundles them with the main installer is what causes the A/V to reject the file

Did you try installing it as administrator? That's the only thing I haven't suggested.

As I said, I can't duplicate the problem on either W 10 or W 11 and, as far as I can tell, no-one else is experiencing it

Ok, I downloaded BitComet v1.86 and it installs fine here. However, v1.87 still errors out unless I first install my VPN software and connect over my VPN. At that point v1.87 will install fine. On two occasions yesterday after doing a fresh install of Win 11 Pro 2200.652, downloading BitComet 1.87, running the installer and having it error out and close. On two separate installs a new window then popped up saying Runtime Error 216 at 0040444A. It thinks it's a virus even though I have defender disabled. I scan for viruses and none are found. I think that is what is going on here. Why my system is the only one detecting this error is perplexing since these were both virgin installs of 2200.652.

Edited by Par-A-Normal (see edit history)

As I said, something in your system is running an A/V check and the installer app is triggering the block.

Check in System Properties to see if you can allow it. You should be able to see what is actually being blocked there and there should be an option to 'allow'

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also experiencing exactly this problem. I completely disabled my firewall/security and retried to install to no avail.

It was only connecting through my VPN that allowed the install to go through.

This could be a problem with W 11 rather than with BitComet.

While I do have W 11 (with TPM and safe boot bypassed on this computer) and I don't have a problem with BC but I did an upgrade from W 10 which had BitComet already installed.

It doesn't have any problem running - did you try installing with 'run as Windows 10' and see if that works.

Personally, I am not impressed with W 11 - to me it's one of the alternate 'upgrades' that are messed up.

think Windows 3 and 3.1, 95 and 95B, 98 and 98SE. ME and XP,Vista and W 7, W 8 and W 10 - now it's W 11 (see the issue?). MS seems to come out with a problematic OS and the next iteration works fine.