To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Speed Up BitComet

1. Hack the max half-open TCP connections

If you’re on XP sp2, your TCP connections are limited to a maximum of 10. This seriously hurts your downloading speed because it wont let you connect to a high amount of ip numbers. It is supposed to slow down viruses because their spreading strategy is to connect to a high amount of ip numbers, but it also cripples your torrent downloads.

A nice way to fix this is to download this patch, it allows you to set the maximum allowed connections to any number you want. Any number between 50 and 100 is ok (more is NOT always better). ;)

2. Configure your torrent client to allow 50-100 max half-open TCP connections

Bitcomet:Go to: Options > Preferences > Connection > max half-open TCP

Now you’re ready to go… B)

A third point of interest is that some “windows updates” revert your tweaked tcp connections back to 10. So it’s wise to check this every now and then. You can check this by going to (in windows xp) Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System… Look for event 4226 (sort by event).

If there are a lot of daily occurences it’s likely that the max amount of half-open tcp connections was set back to 10. Or you’re infected with some nasty spyware…

That's all!

First off, why did you post this in the Feature Request & Suggestions folder?

Second read here: http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showtopic=984

Third: Maybe it's just my computer but if you set the max half open too high the computer starts loosing more connections than he actually seems to connect. It's as if he tripped over his own feet because they were going faster than he is.

you can restore the 10 connections limit with it if you are not satisfied.

I set mine to 100 and my modem stopped disconnecting. And I do had these error messages in the system event log for the tcp max connections reached before.

Very rarely I have little packet loss but that's it - I prefer to hit the refresh button of my browser 5 times a day than restarting my router and my pc 30 times a day.

Edited by dimchopicha2003 (see edit history)