To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Torrent File Structure

WebSurfer80

Hi, does anyone know the format for the .torrent files?

i want to make a program that reads a torrent file and checks which parts of the files that i have are correct and which parts are not. i don't want to make a bittorrent client, i want to use it as a file checker.

So if anyone can help me out with the structure of the file, i'd be greatfull.

i'm not going to make a client, so i don't care about the protocol. i only want to make a program just to check what parts of a file are correct, so i only need the format of the torrent file.

i.e. i only want to implement the checking part of Bitcomet(open .torrent file, check for file parts i have) and that's it.

P.S. when i say structure of the file i mean, for example: announceurl - X bytes, date - X bytes, .....

This is already in clients. It's called hash checking.

i know that, but i want to make my own program. to do that i need to know the the detailed structure of torrent files.

i love programming, and i would like to do this.

i'm just asking for information :)

Thanx

Well your best bet would be www.bittorrent.com since everything is open source at the moment. You just have to dig to find all the info.

it's www.bittorrent.org not www.bittorrent.com. and it doesn't help me because it only talks about the protocol. and as i have said i don't care about the protocol. i've already search the internet high and low, and i've not been able to find what i want. i'm posting this request here hoping one of the people who are working on Bitcomet would help me with that.

Thanx........ B)

In the protocol discussion, it talks about the structure of the metainfo file. This is the information you're looking for. It describes the structure of a .torrent file.

As far as a structure like "Annouce url: 64 bytes", that's a pretty old-fashioned view of file structures which not many follow anymore. Any limit at all has proved to be too.... limiting, so we all avoid structures like that.

In the protocol discussion, it talks about the structure of the metainfo file. This is the information you're looking for. It describes the structure of a .torrent file.

As far as a structure like "Annouce url: 64 bytes", that's a pretty old-fashioned view of file structures which not many follow anymore. Any limit at all has proved to be too.... limiting, so we all avoid structures like that.

thanx...

i found a C# bittorrent client, and i'm tracing it. it has all that i need.

and this web page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bencode , this is what i was asking for.

:D :D :D