To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Strange Tracking

I am connected through a router in my university. Obviously i don't know wat brand the router is. However, i got lucky i guess and able to use porttrigger to download torrents. I went and check if my portforwarding is successful and it is revealed tat it is closed!!! How can i download then? And why is it tat i can onli download torrents with the trackers belonging to datorrent.com...thanx!!!

If you do not have admin access to your router, you will not be able to forward your port.

You will still be able to download, but without a direct connection your download speeds will suffer.

As for not being able to use some torrents, many users that use programs like Peer Gaurdian or Block List Manager will not allow connections to educational instutions. I believe some trackers will also not allow these connections.

I will also add that if your collage has a good system administrator, you will prob not get away with downloading for very long. I would recommend using moderation in how much you use bit torrent on the schools system.

Suspect

Thanx for the advice....haihz...looks like it couldnt be helped then...and yet i have access to almost unlimited bandwidth....according to my seniors the uni started banning it around a year ago....but if i didnt register my IP address then they cant trace to my room....or can they?

If you have managed to get on the school "lan" or "wireless lan" without their knowledge, then there is no way they can trace it to you (that I know of), and surely not if your connection is wireless.

However, I'm sure they will notice if you have a huge bandwidth usage, and they have a good admin, as this will surely not escape his attention.

Suspect