To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

The visual

janz

I am new to all of this so please bear with me. - I finally managed to get a movie downloaded (first one turned out to be in German). Then, and I'm really perplexed on this one, I can't see it, but I can hear it. The format (or whatever you call it) is .avi

Any tips gladly received. Thanks.

That does sound codec related, but .avi should play in Windows Media Player right out of the box (if your running Windows).

.avi is also in the default codec list for almost all the other players out there. Real (yuk), QuickTime (eeyw), WinAmp or Media Player Classic.

That does sound codec related, but .avi should play in Windows Media Player right out of the box (if your running Windows).

.avi is also in the default codec list for almost all the other players out there. Real (yuk), QuickTime (eeyw), WinAmp or Media Player Classic.

If an .avi will play sound but not video that means the video is encoded in something WMP can't play, the audio is usually .mp3 or .ac3. Usually Divx or Xvid, but a lot more h.264 encodes are showing up.

Small but important point: .AVI is NOT a codec.

.avi is a container. It contains a video portion, encoded some way or other but there's no standard, and an audio portion, encoded some way or other but there's no standard.

That means you may be able to play one .avi file, but not another, because they require different filters and you don't have the right filters installed for the second one.

It follows that saying "it's an .avi file" conveys almost no meaningful information. The video portion may be encoded with DivX, or with Xvid, or with MPEG-4, or something else. The audio portion may be encoded as AC3, or as MP3, or something else.

It's the encodings, not the container, that matter, and that determine whether you'll be able to see and hear the file or not.

This is interesting to find out and useful. Thanks for your input. As it turned out, when I downloaded the codec CCCP, everything worked great. It's good to know, though, that there are different codes. Thanks!

Actually just filters and thats how they get better performance then codecs. They were starting to add support for the Real Media Alternative. But they not only stopped, they also removed the files that were there. I guess it was confussing to new users or caused some other problems.

Hey! You de man! It's working perfect now. THANK YOU!!!! And thanks for making it so easy for me to get the codec.

Glade to hear. Enjoy your vids. :)