To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

opening ports

scarecrow_76

i am pretty new at this but i am getting the hang of it. my problem is i can only get local connections. i hace windows firewall set to allow bitcomet, i am have avg free edition, spybot sd, and spysubtract. when i went to canyouseeme.org i entered my port number and got the message "i coud not see your service. reason: timed out". how do i fix this. i have dsl through sbc, no router, just a modem.

OK, first, don't disable your firewall. It's like taking your front door off the hinges because you had trouble with the lock. Not a good solution to the problem.

All that's needed is a rule telling the firewall to open the port for that traffic.

If traffic's still being blocked, then something is blocking it. You need to find out what that something is. Sometimes, in some situations, it's blocked upstream from you and there's nothing you can do about it. For typical home broadband connections in the US, that's rare. For shared connections in a building, it's commonplace.

Most SOHO routers and some modems have firewalls built in. This is where all the port-forwarding business comes in to play.

Many computers have software firewalls installed. XP SP2 has a firewall included and active by default. But many other programs also install firewalls. Having multiple software firewalls is a bad thing. It does not increase your security, but it gives you management hassles, because everything that you have to do on one, you have to do on all the others.

Even worse, many programs install firewalls without clearly telling you they've done it. It ends up being your responsibility to know what's running on your computer. You open a port on the firewall you know about, but the one(s) you don't know about are still blocking the port. It only takes one.

The first place to begin looking is at any sort of security software packages you may have. But basically, you have to look at all of the running processes (he said "processes", he didn't say "applications") on your machine, and identify what each one is. Google is your friend.