To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Sub Folders

tvengel

Hello,

I've been looking around at the forum, but didn't see any topic with my request.

Or I didn't looked so good :-)

I was wondering if it was possible in a future release to work with sub folders.

For example, 1 folder for the incomplete downloads and one folder with the complete downloads.

And it would also be nice if you could catalog your downloads, like you have the "all tasks" tree in the left.

So a person can create several folders, for example : Internet, Graphics, etc...

It will then be nice if there are many files in the folders. Right now, i'm having about 700 files in my folders, and it's difficult to maintain.

Regards,

Tim

When you start bit comet, you can select any location you like to save the files in.

You can also change the default location to anywhere on your network.

Some clients will move completed files for you after download, but I personally would not want this done. If you are moving to the same drive, its just a matter of editing the f.a.t. (file allocation table) not accually moving all that data, but if you are going to move to a different drive, I would prefer to do this at a time when it won't effect other opperations running.

Suspect

Hello Suspect,

The reason for my question was as follows :

My main PC has a medium size harddrive, but I have also a Lacie Ethernet Disk (2TB).

It would be a nice future option if you can right-click on a file, and choose "move to" or somesthing.

Wouldn't it also be a better option then save it on the network directly. For example, when something happens with the packets or other computer?

I noticed now that such a "catagorize" feature was also asked by whileloop :-) Sorry :-)

Regards,

Tim

You should have no problem saving directly to your nas data storage.

I use a simpleshare which is prob very simular, and I often save torrents direct to it.

As for your request, I'm sure our developers will consider it in future versions of bit comet.

Suspect

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible in a future release to work with sub folders.

For example, 1 folder for the incomplete downloads and one folder with the complete downloads.

Regards,

Tim

You will be happier with a folder for each torrent. NOT finished vs unfinished. These may well be sub-folders under broader categories - e.g 911, p***, SUSE, pirated MS, or how ever else you want to organize them.

Even with a couple of G allocated to caching (and this is where BC leaves the other in the dust), you can get up near 20 real I/Os to a disk drive and that may limit you. Using random other drives (but NOT primary / secondary sharing the same PATA cable) can help a lot. Should be using SATA these days, anyway, and eSATA to an external case that takes a SATA II drive and uses the (its different!!!) eSATA cable to your PC but that also has a cruddy old slow USB 2.0 for emergencies is very nice and flexible.

Use the new BC 0.71 "MOVE" feature carefully. It seems to have messed me up wrt folders somehow when moving between disks, but may be my learning curve issues, or files names that included a subfolder specification.

Then go BACK to 0.70 to stay sane, as the only 'goodness' in 0.71 is the MOVE function.

Yet another "foldering" option that would be VERY nice would be to have folders in the top window so it would be easy to group torrents together in categories. This is just for organizing them and has nothing to do with where they are on disk.

You can clearly move them up and down and so can keep the ones of current interest together at the bottom, but having the ability to create a "foney" torrent entry that is just a clearly visible group/folder label would be great, and then normal torrents can be moved up/down to be under whichever one of these you want.

Having a click to then hide/unhide all the torrents is any folder would be handy, as would be the ability to then nest this to any depth so you could hide all folders and their torrents under the next higher level folder.

moving a folder up/down would also move its contents (torrents and other folders) with it to above/below the next same level folder. It should also be able to move a folder to a different level within sub folders - ie to move it under whatever other folder you want regardless of its previous level.