To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Speed OK, but response time and VoIP suffering

bmturney

I went through and opened the port in my router to help speed up BitComet... and it did.. somewhat... went from ~10kb/s to ~30-40kb/s... upload speed is about the same as download speed... usually averages a little higher than download actually...

anyway... my problem... since I have done all of this to try to help speed up my downloads... the speed for web surfing is terrible... its like being back to the 28.8 modem days.. also, my VoIP connection is terrible... people I call say the sound is very choppy (guessing because of the lack of speed on the internet connection)...

if I pause the download, speed goes back to normal, VoIP seems to be OK...

I did a trace route while a torrent is downloading, and while it is paused... with the torrent downloading, response time is over 1000 ms for each hop past my router... pause the download, response time improves to 30-50 ms per hop...

Is this just the price of downloading torrents at "max" speed?

Have you limited your upload yet? It should not be higher than 80% of you upload limit. Although in your case you should try setting it for 75%.

I have not tried limiting the upload... I'll give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks.

Shroud, I apologize in advance for this stupid question, but are you talking about the settings under Preferences>Connection>General Settings ? Currently both of these are set to No Limit, so I should try to set this to 50k down and 38k up, or something like that?