To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

bitcomet and university resnet

s2now

i just move into my college campus 2day. when i turn on bitcomet, the download is really slow.

in logs it says

Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS.

Windows XP UPnP Status: device not found!

and when i check peers, its all local or net traveral

i had the same problems before, but thats when i didnt portforward correctly and i can usually fix it in my router setups.

but here at my college i have no control over the modem, so how do i make it so that the bitcomet is able to connect to remote peers.

Let's see if we can resolve this.

in logs it says

Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS.

Hmm. Okay, let's google winxp ics to find out what that is.

Ok, understand that, and not doing that, so lack of it isn't surprising -- better NOT find working ICS, in fact.

Windows XP UPnP Status: device not found!

Google that too.

Okay, in a new dorm, connected to who-knows-what on the other end of the wall, but it's probably not a consumer-type UPnP device, so no big surprise here. In fact, the surprise would be 1) if there WERE such a device; and 2) that I'm dumb enough to have BitComet even look for one. Why am I doing that? Why haven't I disabled it in my settings? I should turn that off, not that it hurts anything, but it gives irrelevant and seemingly alarming messages in the log.

and when i check peers, its all local or net traveral

i had the same problems before, but thats when i didnt portforward correctly and i can usually fix it in my router setups. but here at my college i have no control over the modem, so how do i make it so that the bitcomet is able to connect to remote peers.

There's a guide topic about port forwarding over in that section of the board. It talks about blocked ports and modems and all.

Let's see: plugged into the wall, an ethernet jack. No modem. No hint of a modem. With a little thought, "why would there be a modem involved? There wouldn't. We aren''t transmitting a signal over phone lines or cable tv lines, it's a dedicated ethernet network, no use or place for a modem."

But, if we're distributing network connectivity over an entire dorm, then damn betcha there's a router, so there's probably a firewall. From previous experience with routers, I know what the problem is. And it's blindingly obvious that I can't control either this router or this firewall. The university's IT department controls it. How would they feel about me trying to open a firewall port in their router -- you know, log into it, change settings on it? Probably not extremely happy. Things like "suspended for hacking" and "terminated account" come to mind.

So my chosen listen port is blocked. Well, that's a firewall's job, blocking ports to unsolicited incoming packets. Good on them, it's a safer environment. Well, from outside the school, anyway. But inside? Ehh, I think I'll keep my software firewall going, or get a router just for the firewall.

In the meantime, what to do about a listen port? Have they blocked all ports? Maybe not for commonly used ones. A quick google for common tcp ports brings me this.. Maybe one or more of these are still open.

How to test that? If I set one as my listen port for BitComet, I'll have something to respond on that port. Then I can use www.canyouseeme.org to check if the port is open. Ok, some good choices from this list might be port 80, usually used for web servers, 23 for telnet, that might be open, 70 for gopher since universities used to love gopher, maybe some of these others. I only need one...

It isn't the basic service provider that's at issue, it's the particular setup for the firewall you're behind -- unless you two are in the same dorm at the same U, your results aren't relevant to each other.

DHT, connected or not, will not make any difference in your download speed, that's not it's job and not what it does.

If you can't find an open port to listen to in your situation, then yes, I'm afraid it does mean you'll be suffering much slower speed than you'd otherwise get.