To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Upload/download

garyjessop

Hi I'm Gary from Toronto Canada. Tx. for BitComet 0.66. Three questions please:

1. Is the upload speed directly or inversely proportional to the

download speed? In other words, if I increase the upload speed, does that

increase or decrease the download speed? (I think it decreases it.)

2. The number of seeders and leechers appears in a column and

then in brackets after. I don't understand [all]. Which is the current number of

seeders vs. leechers?

3. Can you recommend a usable seeder/leecher ratio on which to

base the decision to download, say, a 1.38 GB file in about two weeks,

assuming the ratio remains the same?

Rgds. Gary

Hi Gary.

I'm sorry, in order to refrain from any congestion within the introductions thread, I'm going to have to move this straight to Torrent Related Questions.

In answer to your questions:

1. By increasing your Upload speed to at least 80% of your 'highest' download speed, you'll be able download effectively via bittorrent, I think Dragosani outlined this in our previous BitComet forum, I'll get the links and FAQ soon. However, if you're a DSL user with bandwidth of over 2mbs, it is recommended that you do not leave your Upload Speed rate to be unlimited.

2. The [all] Just basically means that, the Seeders / Peers is shown 'all' within this column. It is not separated.

So i.e. 2 / 333

Means 2 Seeders and 333 Peers.

3. As with all and any files that you download via torrent. It is really appreciated to leave your torrent seeding until it reaches 1.0 or above, by doing this, you're uploading back to the btt community, as much as you downloaded. This helps to keep the torrent alive. So...even if your file is 1.38 gigs, which is quite big...it's good to allow it to upload till 1.0 Ratio.

The ratio bar is right next to th Seeders/Leechers tab you mentioned in question 2. It's called: U/D Ratio.

1. By increasing your Upload speed to at least 80% of your 'highest' download speed, you'll be able download effectively via bittorrent, I think Dragosani outlined this in our previous BitComet forum, I'll get the links and FAQ soon. However, if you're a DSL user with bandwidth of over 2mbs, it is recommended that you do not leave your Upload Speed rate to be unlimited.

hi, i'm using DSL, it says here the speed is 100.00 Mbps, how should i put my download / upload minimum and maximum? cause the fastest speed now i can get is only 30kps...

thanks

The number of seeders / leechers that you are currently connected to is shown before the brackets, the numbers shown in the brackets are the total number of seeders / leechers connecting to the tracker(s). You generally dont connect to the whole swarm.

That 100 Mbps you see is just the speed of your LAN, not the speeds that your ISP gives you.

For help figuring out what your upload cap should be read the Bitcomet Settings Help in my sig.