To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

memory usage out of control

jaromil

I've seen a few similar issues talked about in these forums but never read a working solution.

Right now if I run bitcomet and monitor the memory usage in windows task manager, I see it steadily climbing. If I don't shut it down (bitcomet, not the PC) the mem usage will go up to at least 500-600 MB!

This essentially cripples the PC until I close bitcomet.

I thought this was only hapening when I was downloading, but just now I was alerted by windows that I was low on virtual memory, and checked task manager to see that bitcomet, which was running in the background but not actively downloading, was using about 360 MB of mem.

I used to never have this problem. It became really bad a couple of weeks ago so I tried removing and reinstalling bitcomet. That actually seemed to fix it for a while. It started again the last couple of days, I did the reinstall thing again but this time it didn't help.

Any ideas what is going on? I have everything on default settings btw. WinXP, cable modem, 1 GB mem.

First, make sure you're using BitComet 0.70.

Now I'm hoping that you are not running an IP list through BC because that will add to the resource usage dramatically. Check your cache settings and turn off the auto size. Now take a quick stroll through our settings guide to double check the rest of your settings.

yes, I'm using the latest non-beta bitcomet. (0.70)

I've checked my settings agains your guide and everything looks pretty much the same as yours.

I't apears now that just having bitcomet open (running) causes the steady climb in mem usage. (as reported by task manager) I am watching it right now, it goes up by about 20k per second and presumably does not stop until it crashes the system or I shut it down.

Have you ever seen this?

This is normally seen in conjunction with something else. Some flavors of Norton, in particular, have caused this to happen with bittorrent clients. Your best option is probably to replace your security software item by item, and see if the problem stops.

No router. I use the McAfee firewall and anti virus. I think this may have been related. I uninstalled then reinstalled the Mcafee and (for now) Bitcomet is behaving. Strange that task manager showed Bitcomet having been the resource hog and not any of the varies things Mcafee has on the list.