To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

A Question about polite torrent downloading

kryn taal

:unsure: I was just wondering what is considered the "proper" behavior when it comes to tradng torrents. I have my "max upload" set to unlimited, and my avg. Dn\Up rate is 115\55 Kbps.

My avg. download time (for movies) is about 15 hr. and I then allow each file to "seed" approx. 1-2 days. Unfortunately, HD space severely limits the amount of time I can leave anything in memory much longer than that. :wacko:

I'm new to all of this, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. :oops: I welcome any feedback you may have...

Well what is expected, i.e. the proper behaviour, is that you seed the exact same amount you download so you're ratio (dwnld : upld) stays 1:1. So for example if you download 1GB it is expected that you seed at LEAST 1GB, but it's really nice of you if you leave it to seed some more plus this way the you're benefiting the whole bittorrent community by keeping speeds high....always keep an eye on you're ratio & try to keep it minimum at 1. Happy downloading! ;)

Yes, very good advice.

If I really like something, I will let it run to at least 2.0 (since someone has to make up for all those who take and run)

I also believe in common sense, so if I have two torrents finished, one has 100seeds and 10 peers, but my ratio is only 0.5

second torrent has 10 seeds, 100 peers, but ratio is 1.5

I would seed the second, because the first did not currently need my bandwidth nearly as much, even though I already did more then my share.

I will of course keep the first torrent in my client in case its status changes.

Suspect

Thanx for the replies, I appreciate any and all feedback. I have another question for y'all: I have been running bitcomet now for almost four days nonstop without any problems, but when I got home from work all my downloads had slowed down to nothing. they are not paused or stopped, and I still have six seeds uploading fine. I was wondering if this is just a case of timing, or if I have somehow offended the powers that be and been subsequently banned. Please help, I love torrent trading and the whole concept is very fun to me, but I want to be certain that I am using proper torrent downloading behavior. thanx big time! :P

Yes, very good advice.

If I really like something, I will let it run to at least 2.0 (since someone has to make up for all those who take and run)

I also believe in common sense, so if I have two torrents finished, one has 100seeds and 10 peers, but my ratio is only 0.5

second torrent has 10 seeds, 100 peers, but ratio is 1.5

I would seed the second, because the first did not currently need my bandwidth nearly as much, even though I already did more then my share.

I will of course keep the first torrent in my client in case its status changes.

Suspect

Ok, now I know I'm gonna sound stupid, but what the heck is a ratio?!

oh, and I wondered if I'm understanding this right, so I thought I'd run it by you:

A "peer" is currently downloading and uploading whereas

A "seed" has finished downloading and is now strictly uploading

one last thing "keeping the torrent in my client" Does this mean I leave it on the downloading screen, and just stop it, or can I remove that and just keep the torrent file in my "torrents" folder?

You guys must think I'm crazy for asking so many questions... :wacko:

Each torrent will have a ratio number relating how much your uploaded, compared to your download. 1.0 means you upload exactly as much as you downloaded.

You are correct regarding seeds/peers, here is a good link to learn more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

yes, regarding keeping torrent in your client. I always have many inactive torrents in my client, so I can easily determine if they need seeding. I never run more then one or two (rarely).

Suspect

Each torrent will have a ratio number relating how much your uploaded, compared to your download. 1.0 means you upload exactly as much as you downloaded.

You are correct regarding seeds/peers, here is a good link to learn more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

yes, regarding keeping torrent in your client. I always have many inactive torrents in my client, so I can easily determine if they need seeding. I never run more then one or two (rarely).

Suspect

Ahhhhh.... I think I've finally got it now. :D I'm fairly certain that the reason my downloads slowed t a crawl was due to a poor ratio on my part. I had been stopping uploads after two days regardless of thier ratio. I am now going to wait on uploading any new torrents until my ratios for existing torrents reach a better state.

to all those who I had unknowingly wronged, I am truly sorry. :(

Oh yes, thank you for the link. very informative. Suspect, you are too cool. your help in this matter has been great

• 4 weeks later...