To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Very low download speed

I changed the listening port to 49160 and now i can't download any torrent. I opened the port in my router (Netgear), now the speed is very very low (between 1kbps to 3kbps). It takes a long time to get tracker response for any torrent. I changed the port coz i was getting low download speed (around 7-8kbps) but it has become more worse. I uninstalled and installed BitComet 0.70 many times but still doesn't work. The test on www.canyouseeme.org reveals the following result:

Error: I could not see your service on port (49160)

Reason: Connection refused

I emailed to BitComet staff few days back but still no response. The download speed is the same for a 4MB download and for a 600MB download. I'm on a 512mbps package. Please help!!!

Changing to a different port will not affect your speed. BC doesn't care what port it uses, as long as there is one and it's open.

Your test indicates that there is a firewall blocking your chosen listen port. It may be the firewall built in to your router, so see the directions at portforward.com to handle that. It may be a software firewall running on your system, which you must configure to allow external traffic in on BitComet's listen port.

Firewalls are like gates, and only one has to be closed to block the traffic completely.

Do NOT solve this by disabling your firewall, it's there to protect you.

Size of the downloaded content has no bearing whatever on download speed.