To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Download speeds drop.

ulookingatme

I have a 2MB connection with AOL (yes i know i should really change ISP) and over the last 2 months or so i have noticed the speed dropping to about a quartar of what i should be downloading at.

Now im not just talking just about P2P but general web downloads, where as i can usually max out at around 250kb/s i find after a couple of hours surfing if i try to download the same file or test my connection that it drops to around 50kb/s and will never gain speed untill i reboot and even then sometimes it doesnt always get above 80kb/s.

I have done various speed tests from different speed test sites just in case i was getting false info from one but all tell me my speed is around 50kb/s where as if i test when i first come online it will be at 250kb/s.

AOL have tested my BT line and assure me all is ok there end and they do not throttle there speeds either and have suggested my PC is at fault.

I have also borrowed a friends router to replace my modem just in case it was that, i have also scanned for spyware/adware/trojans and viruses but all have come back clear.

I also reformatted pc just in case it was 'clogged up' but still no joy.

I am running Windows Xp Pro Sp2

1GB Ram

3.0ghz P4

Has anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?

Are you running any Tweaking programs(Internet - System).I've known these to go a bit funny sometimes and set the wrong values.If you are open them and set them to original settings and see if anything changes.I'm by no means saying this is the problem but there is no harm trying.....

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

Your download speed of 250kB/s is the max you can get from a 2mb/s connection.

Most ISPs rate the connection at is peak limit, which may only be availble to you during off peak times.

If this is the case, then there is nothing you can do, unless your isp upgrades its lines.

Personally, I think if you are sold a 2mb/s line, it should always have that bandwidth availble to you, but this is usually not the case.

I would run several different web based speed tests, record the results at different times of day, and submit it all to AOL. If you can show that your indeed not getting what they promised, they may upgrade you, or perhaps give you some free usage or some other compensation.

I know in the past they were giving 90days free to anyone they talked out of leaving, but I'm not sure if they do that now.

I would also check what other service is availble in your area.

Suspect

ps. if you did a full reformat and install of windows, and that didn't help, then I think the problem is with your ISP (however I can not determine this from a forum post).