To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Downloading with Zero Seeds ?????

I am new to this so I will give all that I know.

I set up computer, application, and router as stated in the set-up guides.

This took my DL from 3kB/s average to 15kB/s average.

I am now trying to get more. I changed my disk cache from 50mb to 100mb (I have 1Gb ram) and the DL has gone from about 15kB/s to around 20kB/s.

I am making an assumption that if I can increase the number of seeds, I can increase my DL rate. How do I do this. If this correlation is not correct, then what do you recommend to increase DL rate?

I am on a wireless router, my throughput rate is auto negotiating and runs from 54mb/s down to 11mb/s

I have a 99% success rate over 500mb of data.

Seeds are the people you are downloading from, not something you can increase.

Your download speed depends on a combination of what your maximum bandwidth is and also on what the maximum upload speed the seeds have. Probably 70+% of your download speed depends on other people. You most certainly can increase your DL speed with a faster connection (some days when I get a popular file I can get DL speeds upwards of 500KBs) but if the seeds don't have an equally speedy connection it won't do you any good.

Good comment J2383

There is still quite a bit you can do to help your download rates, but it will still depend on the peers your connecting to.

Most slow torrents are a result of people running multiple torrents, therefore not providing a good upload amount to anyone they connect to.

One torrent at a time is the way to go.

I suggest you read our setting guides, our staff has worked hard to prepare them.

Suspect

Try making sure that your Global Max Upload Rate is set to about 80% of your available D/L bandwidth to avoid saturating your connection.

In my case my download bandwidth is 186K divide that by 8 (for 8 bits to the byte) and I get 23.25. In tests using various tools I find my effective d/l speed varies from a low of 21 to a high of 27. I set my Global Max Upload Rate at 19 which seems to work well. Any higher seems to slow my download speed.

Also for whatever reason BitComet 0.70 seems to not only be more reliable than later releases, it is also demonstrably faster on my computer. After repeatedly installing and reinstalling both 0.70 and 0.76 (0.71-75 consistantly crash on my machine) 0.70 outperforms 0.76 by a factor of 2+.

For anyone who wishes to say that cannot be. That I must be in error. All I can say is that I do know that the internet changes from second to second. Peers and seeds come and go. That is why I try repeatedly each build on the same machine and connection. I start with all settings as much the same as any 2 builds will allow and if there are enhancements in one over the other I try them both on and off. Over and over with the same downloads.

With BC 0.76 the best I've seen is 52 KB/s down and 22 KB/s up. It averages in the high 40's with this set of tasks.

BC 0.70 averages 170-180 KB/s down and 19 KB/s up with a maximum up of 242 KB/s and a minimum of 123 KB/s on the same set of tasks.

I have no idea why the upload goes up so much while the download drops a little, but this is what I get, over and over. The speed is checked and compared using a stand alone Net Statistics monitor, not the BitComet title bar (which actually is quite representative of the true rates).

As I said on my initial post.

I followed all of your set-up guides.

That is how I went from 5kB/s to about 20kB/s

I also have done the 80/20 thing with the upload and download speeds.

What I have NOT done is the global recommendation.

Under preferences -> Advance -> Connections

My Global min is set to auto

My Global max is set to auto

Are you recommending this to be be changed?

Seeds are the people you are downloading from, not something you can increase.

Your download speed depends on a combination of what your maximum bandwidth is and also on what the maximum upload speed the seeds have. Probably 70+% of your download speed depends on other people. You most certainly can increase your DL speed with a faster connection (some days when I get a popular file I can get DL speeds upwards of 500KBs) but if the seeds don't have an equally speedy connection it won't do you any good.

If you hare having problems with your router or modem resetting, then you might want to limit your global max connections, othewise, this should not be necessary.

Also, most users these days have much more download speed, compared to upload, so there is really no need to limit your max download speed.

The only reason to limit your upload, is to keep from bogging down your clients comunication, as it could cause slow downloads.

If you want to test your client, I suggest you try on one of these torrents...

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

These torrents are very well seeded, and will give you an idea of what your client is capable of downloading.

Suspect

I saw in one of your other posts that AOL adds stuff to a computer even if is not used, only preloaded.

I checked my event viewer and control panel and see that AOL is preloaded on my machine.

I deleted it and now get 125Kb/s average DL speed.

This is 10 times faster than what it has been in the past.

I may also have better seeds, but I am pleased with this DL speed.

Thanks for your help

If you hare having problems with your router or modem resetting, then you might want to limit your global max connections, othewise, this should not be necessary.

Suspect