To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Query relating to playing VCD files on DVD

bobl

Hi all :D,

I've downloaded a KVCD film sucessfully and burned it to a CD-R using Nero as per Hockney's guide.

However when I try to play it on my DVD player the player fails to read the CD.

My DVD player is a Sony model but is relatively old (5+ years) but it is a model that plays Video CDs although I've never played one on it.

Have I misunderstood or assumed something incorrectly. I assumed that if I burned one of these files to a normal CD it would play on a DVD player.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

Did a bit more reseach and from Wikepedia Video CD:

However, many DVD players made before 2003-2004 could not read recordable (CD-R) media, and this limited the compatibility of VCD. Almost every modern stand-alone DVD-Video player can play VideoCDs burned on recordable media

I guess since my DVD was made before 2003 it can't play Video CDs :( .

That is possible, although most dvd players will play kvcd without issue.

One thing you can do is contact sony, they might give you a firmware update to make the play play vcd.

If your interested in buying a new dvd player that will play them, there are many very cheap players that work very well. some are as cheap as $25 USD

We have a topic at TUS discussing this very issue.

http://tus-kvcd-group.com

Although this is not the best solution, it is possible to convert the files to dvd, but the variable bit rate that makes kvcd so good will be lost, and you will lose quality.

DVDr discs aren't as good at playing highly compressed video.

Suspect

ps. if you are able to get a firmware update, and it works, PLEASE send me the model number, and firmware update number so I can share the info with my support team at tus

ps. if you are able to get a firmware update, and it works, PLEASE send me the model number, and firmware update number so I can share the info with my support team at tus

My player is a Sony DVP-S325 and after digging out the manual I found it doesn't play CD-Rs which probably accounts for my problem.

I'll drop Sony an email but I wouldn't reallly expect them to provide a firmware upgrade for a player that was never designed to play CD-R's anyway but if I get a positive response I'll report back.