To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Major internet slowdown when running bitcomet

Ok, my internet works just fine when BitComet isn't running. But when it is running, my internet connection massively slows down. I experience horribly slow load times and even timeouts in Firefox AND Aim. Also, my download speeds arent up to par as they were previously. I have set up my port-forwarding settings manually and triple checked everything in the BitComet settings to optimize the speeds there, and I have tried multiple versions of BitComet (including 0.68) and multiple different ports. I have even tried disconnecting my modem and router, updating the firmware on the router, and System Restoring my PC. It was working perfectly fine a few days ago, and thats when I System Restored back to, but the problem persists even now. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated, because this is really starting to piss me off >.<

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, got the latesst client too .70, 50 open connections, etc. I should not, as a user, be fiddling with settings in BC i know nothing about, but anyways, they need to fix what is going on here. Enormous slowdown in Internet Explorer, and internet-related apps in general.

Using a Marvell Yukon, 5100 Speedstream DSL modem at home, doesnt matter if my speed in BC is 5kbps for upload or download, IE is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Can someone fix this please?

Almost all home broadband connections are asymmetrical -- a lot faster downstream than upstream. Bittorrent involves a lot of communication, with the tracker, with peers, with the exchange of torrent pieces and their acknowledgements, most of it over TCP, where things have to be acknowledged.

All that means a lot of upstream traffic, so this is where your connection will begin to choke. It's extremely important to limit bittorrent's global maximum upload speed, to keep this traffic from crowding out all other traffic, including any other internet activity (web surfing, email, &c)

You need to measure your actual upstream speed, using one of the many web sites offering this service. Choose one reasonably nearby, to avoid network latency confusing the issue. (If you live in London, don't choose one that's in Taiwan or Buenos Aires or Redmond.) Make sure the one you chose reports your upstream speed, not just downstream. Make sure you've stopped all other applications that use any of your bandwidth before doing the test. Write down the results, and do it CAREFULLY. Most sites report your speed in Kb/s, while most internet applications set speeds in KB/s. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. 1 KB/s = 8 Kb/s. Keep your units straight.

Set your global maximum upload speed for your bittorrent client to a value that's about 80% of your measured maximum upstream speed, using consistent units. (Most errors are made here.) This will greatly improve your bittorrent download speeds, as well as your other internet activities.

If you don't limit your upstream speed, it will take over your internet connection and make everything else run very slow or not work at all.

DSL, DHT, and the 80% Rule

-------------------------------------------------

I happen to have my Upload rate at 75% of my ISPs Max Upload Speed. My speeds have always been quite good at both upload/download rate. This does not solve my issue of being kicked offline frequently throughout the day however.

By unchecking DHT I haven't been kicked offline in days/weeks, quite the feat considering now going on several months with slow internet surfing and random internet boots. Until I understand why I WOULD WANT to setup a static IP or Port Forwarding, I will just continue to DISABLE DHT, because this feature has been killing my DSL for about 6 months, or at least, Bitcomet works likes it should when I have it unselected in Preferences.