To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Why don't have ban IP that send bad data?

tee_bast

I'm haveing a problem of receiving bad data when using bitcomet. I like this client but why it doesn't have banning ip that send bad data feature. Can anyone tell the bitcomet builder to add this feature?? I really want to use it.

Bit Comet is one of the few clients that DOES let you ban IP addresses.

Although, before you go banning people, you should understand that it only takes one bad byte of data to make a piece fail hash check, and any of the many thousands of connections between you and him could have damaged the piece, so its not wise to ban an IP unless you get repeated bad data from them. Bit comet will do this automatically.

Suspect

like sh** id does.. I'm downloading X-files - over 70GB and beeing at 74% I've got over 7GB of junk..

Bad language is NOT permitted in the forum!

With that much bad data, I think you likely have a problem with your connection. If anyone peer sent bad data, it would be dropped.

If your being sent bad data by people trying to disrupt bit torrent usage, "peer guardian" can help. It is free, and blocks connections to known bad IP addresses.

Suspect

Bad language is NOT permitted in the forum!

that's why i user * :D

"peer guardian" can help

tried it - didn't help.

problem with your connection

i have no reason to suspect my connection..

If anyone peer sent bad data, it would be dropped.

If your being sent bad data by people trying to disrupt bit torrent usage, "peer guardian"

meaning I should use some additional program because bitcomet's "bad peer" dropping isn't that great at all..

You are downloading bad data, and bit comet is doing it's job of hash checking the data, and discarding the pieces that don't pass as 100% intact.

You can manually ban any peer you wish, but if your getting alot of bad data from many peers, then this IS reason to suspect your connection.

One phone call to your ISP and they can check your connection for packet loss, and if it is excessive, they will have to repair your connection. I would be sure to question them about the test results, and they normally don't send repairmen to fix a connection unless its quite bad. My ISP said my connection was "within error margin", but I told them I was getting alot of failed downloads, so they had to change my connectors and splitter, and it stopped.

Please understand that your connection may seem fine, but it only takes one bad Byte to make a piece fail hash check. this small error would not be noticeable during surfing the net.

Regarding peerguardian, this is a program that maintains lists of hostile peers, such as groups that monitor P2P downloads, Spyware/Addware companies, Government and such. This is different then blocking peers that send bad data, as this will prevent any connection to them at all.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Suspect